External Motor Fan

  • Don Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5, 2001
      Hi All,
      A few days ago, I broke down and bought a brand new
      motor for my Craftsman 6X18. The motor is 1/4 HP
      and fully enclosed with an external fan. I`ve had
      other enclosed motors that had no fan...is it
      really necessary for my application?

      Regards,
      Don Smith

      http://auctions.yahoo.com/
    • S1
      Message 2 of 3 , May 6, 2001
        It isn't really neccessary, but the fan will help the motor run cooler,
        prolonging its life. So this motor is an improvement as far as that is
        concerned.
        -gabe

        Don Smith wrote:

        > Hi All,
        > A few days ago, I broke down and bought a brand new
        > motor for my Craftsman 6X18. The motor is 1/4 HP
        > and fully enclosed with an external fan. I`ve had
        > other enclosed motors that had no fan...is it
        > really necessary for my application?
        >
        > Regards,
        > Don Smith

      • M K (Skip)Campbell Jr.
        Message 3 of 3 , May 6, 2001
          > A few days ago, I broke down and bought a brand new
          > motor for my Craftsman 6X18. The motor is 1/4 HP
          > and fully enclosed with an external fan. I`ve had
          > other enclosed motors that had no fan...is it
          > really necessary for my application?
          >
          > Regards,
          > Don Smith

          TEFC is the best, Don. I've never seen a totally
          enclosed motor that was not an "air over", which are
          designed to be used on fans, or intermittent
          duty motors. On a 6" lathe you probably wouldn't
          have any trouble unless you ran it for hours under
          a big load a high speeds like polishing or what ever.
          Personally, I prefer the TEFC motors or everything
          in the shop.
          Skip Campbell
          Ft. Worth, TEXAS
          Craftsman 12X36 101.28990