Z axis

  • David R. Birch
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2001
      S1 wrote:

      > Horizontal ones can do everything a vertical one does accept drill holes like
      > a drill press. You control the centerline of your cut with the Z axis rather
      > than your X or Y axis, (for slot cutting within two definite points), making
      > it very different, but it is doing the same job. For somethings things
      > Horizontal mills are better than vertical ones. I would definitely consider
      > purchasing one if I was looking for a mill.
      > -Gabe

      Not quite right. The Z axis is the axis of the spindle, on a vertical
      mill the Z axis is vertical and on a horizontal mill, it's horizontal.
      X and Y axes are perpendicular to the spindle. My first mill was/is a
      horizontal Benchmaster, and you're right, they're not good for
      drilling. OTOH, they're a LOT more rigid for most milling than the
      average mill/drill.

      David