Re: [atlas_craftsman] Miller Needed

  • S1
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2001
      I know a master machinist (38 years of experience, built racing cars for 20
      years) that had one of those drill/mills for his home shop. He sold his because
      he said even the best ones are rough machines. He said that they are not as
      precise as Bridgport or high end machines and does not recommemd them for
      precise work. They are rough and cheap. Unfortunately, you get what you pay
      for with machine tools. I've been saving for a Prazi BF 400 bench mill and
      finally ordered it yesterday. It is the Brigdeport of benchtop machinery, and
      the only equivalent machine would be a Rusnok. Most chinese machines, like the
      Grizzly, Drill/mills and Smithy type multitools will be rough by comparison to
      the more famous makes like South Bend or Bridgeport. They won't be as durable
      and they won't have the accuracy.

    • j.c.gerber@tbwil.ch
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2001
        Hi Eric

        I could find the Website of Rusnok, but not that of a Prazi dealer where the
        BF400 would be pictured.
        Have you an adress.
        I am always interested in milling as I want to change mine within the next 2
        years.
        Thanks

        Jean-Claude

        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2001
          MSC Industrial supply and J+L industrial supply both carry the Prazi Milling
          machine. MSC has an image of it which is viewable in Adobe Acrobat Reader.
          I ordered mine from MSC.
          -Gabe
          P.S Out of curiousity, what is Rusnok's website?

          Message 4 of 12 , May 2, 2001
            Hi Eric

            Could you give me the website adress of these two suppliers. Here in
            Switzerland such companies are unknown and it is difficult to get them by
            cut and try.

            The Rusnok site is: http://www.rusnok.com/
            Quite comprehensive about the details of their small mill, but I am suprised
            at the price compared to the size, the motor power and the light weight of
            the machine.
            > MSC Industrial supply and J+L industrial supply both carry the Prazi
            Milling
            > machine. MSC has an image of it which is viewable in Adobe Acrobat
            Reader.
            > I ordered mine from MSC.
            > -Gabe
            > P.S Out of curiousity, what is Rusnok's website?
          • Dr. Robert Harms
            Message 5 of 12 , May 6, 2001
              I bought the Enco geared head mill on sale for 1000. No knee. Not
              full size in the sense of a Bridgeport but definitely large enough for my
              needs . In 1 year zero problems. IMHO ::AVOID belts !!
              > >Hey folks I have finally decided to add a milling machine to my
              > >basement collection of metal working machinery. I am torn between
              > >the reasonable priced Grizzly mini mill at about 500 bucks and the
              > >clausing 8520. From what I can tell the Clausing will be a machine I
              > >can move into as I actually learn how to use a milling machine.
              > >However I think it will be hard to find. Ebay is for sharks...I mean
              > >sellers. Prices go out of reach in a hurry. Do you know of anyone
              > >who has the Clausing machine they woulkd like to sell?
              > >Jim
              >
              > Jim;
              > I am presently restoring a Clausing 8520. There is NO comparison
              > between it and a mini-mill! Go for the 8520! It is a true mill, not just
              > a small parts hobby mill. It also is much better than the
              > mill-drills. The knee makes height changes a snap, whereas the
              mill-drills
              > require re-aligning to the workpiece if the head is raised or lowered.
              >
              > You can see what I've done so far on my Web site (address below).
              >
              > Ron Thibault
              > North Augusta, SC USA
              > Builder Miinie #2
              > Captain R/C Combat Ship USS Arizona