[atlas_craftsman] 12" Atlas

  • SLEYKIN@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 1999
      Well now that I have a "new" 12" Atlas I have some questions.
      First what change gears will I need with it? I have 5 but I think there
      should be 10 of them.
      Second what size 3J & 4J chucks should I put on it. I am thinking an 8" 4J
      and a 6" or 7" 3J.

      I didn't get much with the lathe but for $100 I think I can do ok,
      considering there is very little wear on anything I have taken apart so far.

      TIA
      Glenn
    • Harry Wade
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 1999
        At 03:28 PM 9/1/99 EDT, you wrote:
        >Second what size 3J & 4J chucks should I put on it. I am thinking an 8" 4J
        >and a 6" or 7" 3J.
        >I didn't get much with the lathe but for $100 I think I can do ok,
        >considering there is very little wear on anything I have taken apart so far.
        >TIA
        >Glenn

        Glenn,
        The chucks you quote are just right. Stay with the 6" 3-jaw. Also, if
        there is a choice go with light or medium duty chuck bodies, the heavy duty
        models are just too heavy for Atlas lathes. The additional mass they have
        will mostly go unused but you will have to pay extra for it and start and
        stop it every time you turn the machine on.

        Regards,
        Harry Wade
        Nashville Tn
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 1999
          Harry Wade wrote:

          > At 03:28 PM 9/1/99 EDT, you wrote:
          > >Second what size 3J & 4J chucks should I put on it. I am thinking an 8" 4J
          > >and a 6" or 7" 3J.
          > >I didn't get much with the lathe but for $100 I think I can do ok,
          > >considering there is very little wear on anything I have taken apart so far.
          > >TIA
          > >Glenn
          >
          > Glenn,
          > The chucks you quote are just right. Stay with the 6" 3-jaw. Also, if
          > there is a choice go with light or medium duty chuck bodies, the heavy duty
          > models are just too heavy for Atlas lathes. The additional mass they have
          > will mostly go unused but you will have to pay extra for it and start and
          > stop it every time you turn the machine on.

          Well, I got an 8" Phase-II adjustable 3-jaw chuck for my 12" Atlas, and
          I'm VERY happy with it. It is a very heavy chuck, and I made the thinnest
          backplate I could to keep the weight and overhang down, but it works
          VERY well. It is a chore to swap the chuck, but it will hold things that I
          just couldn't hold with a 6" chuck.

          Jon
        • Harry Wade
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 1, 1999
            At 05:30 PM 9/1/99 -0500, you wrote:
            >Well, I got an 8" Phase-II adjustable 3-jaw chuck for my 12" Atlas, and
            >I'm VERY happy with it. (snip)
            >Jon

            I'm happy for you Jon. After all, we all find what works best for us
            depending upon the work we do. I made the mistake of buying a great big
            ass 8" 3-jaw chuck for my Atlas when I first got it, about 30 years ago,
            against the recommendations of my mentors, and regretted it every day until
            I got a light 6" which was much more suited to my use of making model steam
            engines and locomotives. In the 30 years since then I have owned three
            Atlas lathes and known the owners of about15 more. Light duty chucks have
            been preferred by all but one of these.
            It's as much about the size of the jaws, the width, depth and the
            typical presence of deep serrations, which are as much a drawback as the
            weight for a home shop user. Those big jaws are awkward to hopeless for
            small or delicate work. Again, it depends upon what sort of work you will
            be doing.

            Cheers,
            Harry
          • SLEYKIN@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 1, 1999
              In a message dated 9/1/1999 3:23:28 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
              jmelson@... writes:

              > Well, I got an 8" Phase-II adjustable 3-jaw chuck for my 12" Atlas, and
              > I'm VERY happy with it. It is a very heavy chuck, and I made the thinnest
              > backplate I could to keep the weight and overhang down, but it works
              > VERY well. It is a chore to swap the chuck, but it will hold things that I
              > just couldn't hold with a 6" chuck.

              That in a nutshell is why I was thinking 6" 3 Jaw and 8" 4 Jaw. the 6" Chuck
              will probably do 80 to 90% of what I will be doing and if I need it I will
              have the 8" 4 Jaw to turn odd shaped stuf or something big. More than likely
              if it is that big it will be hollow and I can chuck it from the inside with
              the three jaw. It came with a VERY light 5" three jaw that I think may be a
              wood lathe chuck. I will try that out when I get it running but I really
              don't think it will do very well. The chuck is a threaded back and only 1
              3/4" thick. My 3" three jaw is almost an inch thicke not counting the
              backplate. Would this chuck be dangerous to try with metal? Is it a normal
              size for this lathe? It just looks incredibly wimpy to me :)

              Thanks for all the advise! Now to get busy and sell the 6" lathe so I can go
              out and buy goodies for the 12" :)

              Glenn Neff
              Medford, OR
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 1, 1999
                Harry Wade wrote:

                > At 05:30 PM 9/1/99 -0500, you wrote:
                > >Well, I got an 8" Phase-II adjustable 3-jaw chuck for my 12" Atlas, and
                > >I'm VERY happy with it. (snip)
                > >Jon
                >
                > I'm happy for you Jon. After all, we all find what works best for us
                > depending upon the work we do. I made the mistake of buying a great big
                > ass 8" 3-jaw chuck for my Atlas when I first got it, about 30 years ago,
                > against the recommendations of my mentors, and regretted it every day until
                > I got a light 6" which was much more suited to my use of making model steam
                > engines and locomotives. In the 30 years since then I have owned three
                > Atlas lathes and known the owners of about15 more. Light duty chucks have
                > been preferred by all but one of these.
                > It's as much about the size of the jaws, the width, depth and the
                > typical presence of deep serrations, which are as much a drawback as the
                > weight for a home shop user. Those big jaws are awkward to hopeless for
                > small or delicate work. Again, it depends upon what sort of work you will
                > be doing.

                Yes, it sure depends on the type of work one does. And, I do some larger
                pieces,
                as well as some smaller parts. This chuck has removable top jaws with fairly
                big
                serrations, but they actually haven't gotten in my way once, yet. I could get
                other top jaws, if I needed them, but I haven't found such a need.

                I still DO have my well-worn 6", and there was something I was doing that
                required
                me to go back. I think it was holding a 1.5" or so tube from the inside. The
                big
                chuck won't take anything that small on the smallest inside jaw step. But, the
                old
                3-jaw is not terribly accurate, and there is some taper on the jaws. I
                reground the
                inside of the jaws, but haven't gotten around to the outside faces of the jaws.

                Jon
              • Ted
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 2, 1999
                  Jon,

                  > Well, I got an 8" Phase-II adjustable 3-jaw chuck for my 12" Atlas, and
                  > I'm VERY happy with it. It is a very heavy chuck, and I made the thinnest
                  > backplate I could to keep the weight and overhang down, but it works
                  > VERY well. It is a chore to swap the chuck, but it will hold things that I
                  > just couldn't hold with a 6" chuck.

                  Where did you get it or where can I get one. Also can you tell me what
                  it cost?

                  Ted
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 2, 1999
                    Ted wrote:

                    > Jon,
                    >
                    > > Well, I got an 8" Phase-II adjustable 3-jaw chuck for my 12" Atlas, and
                    > > I'm VERY happy with it. It is a very heavy chuck, and I made the thinnest
                    > > backplate I could to keep the weight and overhang down, but it works
                    > > VERY well. It is a chore to swap the chuck, but it will hold things that I
                    > > just couldn't hold with a 6" chuck.

                    It was on sale at Travers Tool for about $169! I almost fell out of my chair
                    when I saw the price, because I'm used to chucks like this going for $400 or
                    so. It was very high quality, and immediately after mounting it, and putting it
                    on center at one size, it would hold anything I could find within .001" TIR.
                    Unfortunately, it was a one month sale, about a year ago. I have not seen this
                    model on sale since. There was also a 6" version of the same chuck on sale
                    at that same time. I think the 6" lists about $250, very roughly.

                    Jon
                  • Ronald Thibault
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 4, 1999
                      At 01:12 AM 9/2/99 EDT, you wrote:
                      >That in a nutshell is why I was thinking 6" 3 Jaw and 8" 4 Jaw. the 6" Chuck
                      >will probably do 80 to 90% of what I will be doing and if I need it I will
                      >have the 8" 4 Jaw to turn odd shaped stuf or something big. More than likely
                      >if it is that big it will be hollow and I can chuck it from the inside with
                      >the three jaw. It came with a VERY light 5" three jaw that I think may be a
                      >wood lathe chuck. I will try that out when I get it running but I really
                      >don't think it will do very well. The chuck is a threaded back and only 1
                      >3/4" thick. My 3" three jaw is almost an inch thicke not counting the
                      >backplate. Would this chuck be dangerous to try with metal? Is it a normal
                      >size for this lathe? It just looks incredibly wimpy to me :)
                      >
                      >Thanks for all the advise! Now to get busy and sell the 6" lathe so I can go
                      >out and buy goodies for the 12" :)
                      >
                      >Glenn Neff
                      >Medford, OR

                      Glenn;
                      I would recommend also figuring on a 6" 4-jaw. I find that it is
                      much better for smaller pieces that do not require the 8". I reserve the 8"
                      for only those pieces that need its' size. The 8" weighs about 30 pounds
                      (plus backplate), and the 6" weighs about 20 pounds with backplate.

                      Ron Thibault
                      North Augusta, SC USA

                      Builder Miinie #2
                      Captain R/C Combat Ship USS Arizona