[atlas_craftsman] Craftsman 6" change gear question

  • Don Murray
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 31, 1999
      I have a Craftsman/Atlas 6" model 101.21400 ser. Num 019572. My change
      gear chart shows 2 gears for the spindle, a 32 tooth, which I have and a
      16 tooth which I don't have. I don't see how a 16 tooth will fit on the
      1" spindle. Or am I reading this chart wrong? If it is a 16 tooth on the
      spindle I would like to know a source for one.

      TIA
      Don Murray
    • SLEYKIN@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 31, 1999
        Don, They are refering to the bottom tumble gear. It should be a 16/32
        tooth gear and you go to the side you want with the first change gear. It
        really isn't mounted on the spindle but has the same effect.

        Glenn Neff
        Medford, OR

        In a message dated 8/31/1999 10:31:22 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
        don@... writes:

        > I have a Craftsman/Atlas 6" model 101.21400 ser. Num 019572. My change
        > gear chart shows 2 gears for the spindle, a 32 tooth, which I have and a
        > 16 tooth which I don't have. I don't see how a 16 tooth will fit on the
        > 1" spindle. Or am I reading this chart wrong? If it is a 16 tooth on the
        > spindle I would like to know a source for one.
        >
        > TIA
        > Don Murray
      • Don Murray
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 3, 1999
          SLEYKIN@... wrote:

          > Don, They are refering to the bottom tumble gear. It should be a 16/32
          > tooth gear and you go to the side you want with the first change gear. It
          > really isn't mounted on the spindle but has the same effect.
          >
          > Glenn Neff
          > Medford, OR

          Thank you very much, that was a big help. Now I find myself in need of
          5 gears to complete my set.
          32, 40, 44, 46, and 56 tooth

          If anyone knows of a source for these, I would appreciate hearing about
          it.
          TIA, Don Murray
        • SLEYKIN@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 3, 1999
            In a message dated 9/3/1999 7:38:16 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
            don@... writes:

            > Thank you very much, that was a big help. Now I find myself in need of
            > 5 gears to complete my set.
            > 32, 40, 44, 46, and 56 tooth
            >
            > If anyone knows of a source for these, I would appreciate hearing about
            > it.
            > TIA, Don Murray

            <A HREF="http://www.mermac.com/index.html">Meridian Machinery home page</A>
            <A HREF="http://www.paramountmachinery.com/index.html">Paramount Machinery
            Corp. Home Page - Machine...</A>

            Both of these places should have them for you. I have to look it up in my
            notes but I believe you also want a 27T gear for metric threads.
            (corrections please if I didn't remember this right) The 6" Atlas doesn't
            come with a gear for metric threads. You can also get the gears or a "quick
            change cluster" from Clausing. Very spendy though IMHO.

            Glenn
          • Dick Blaney
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 4, 1999
              Glenn, SLEYKIN@... , wrote......

              The 6" Atlas doesn't
              come with a gear for metric threads. You can also get the gears or a
              "quick
              change cluster" from Clausing. Very spendy though IMHO.

              I think that if you look in the Atlas Lathe Operations book, most
              metric threads are listed with the standard gearing. Since the Atlas
              6" change gears and lead screw pitch are identical to the AA-109 gears
              and lead screw pitch, the same info should work fine with the AA-109.

              Dick Blaney
              wb8mhe@...
            • vmusil@pacbell.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 4, 1999
                vmusi-@... wrote:
                original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/atlas_craftsman/?start=10
                17
                > Glenn, SLEYKIN@... , wrote......
                >
                > The 6" Atlas doesn't
                > come with a gear for metric threads. You can also get the gears or a
                > "quick
                > change cluster" from Clausing. Very spendy though IMHO.
                >
                > I think that if you look in the Atlas Lathe Operations book, most
                > metric threads are listed with the standard gearing. Since the Atlas
                > 6" change gears and lead screw pitch are identical to the AA-109 gears
                > and lead screw pitch, the same info should work fine with the AA-109.
                >
                > Dick Blaney
                > wb8mhe@...

                I don't have access to the Atlas Lathe Operations book (my lathe is an
                AA-109.) Could some helpful individual post the gear combinations for
                the
                metric threads?

                Thanks in advance for any assistance.

                Victor

              • Dick Blaney
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 4, 1999
                  Hi Victor,
                  The Atlas Lathe Operations book is available from Clausing, at about
                  $10-$15, I think. The website is at:
                  http://www.clausing-industrial.com/service.htm
                  It has the 6" metric, and many, many other "non-standard" threads and
                  feeds listed. Many pages. Well worth the money.
                  Dick Blaney
                  wb8mhe@...