86991Re: Atlas Mill limitations??

  • anthrhodes
    Apr 10, 2014
      Jerry,

      Let's see, 7/8" arbor, typical 2-1/2" OD horizontal mill cutter, just over 5/8"depth from the tips of the teeth to the spacer bushings. Do you consider this to be an inadequate depth of cut on a machine like the Atlas mill?

      A i" arbor was also offered by Atlas and you can get 7/8", 1", and 1-1/4" arbors from tools4cheap which are specifically designed for the Atlas mill. The larger arbors commonly use larger OD cutters but I don'r know what the clearance is from the tips of the teeth to the spacers so I can't quote it. It's also true that as you increase the OD of the cutter the height of a work piece above the table will more limited if you want to be able to pass the cutter over the work piece without taking a cut.

      FYI, the maximum cutter OD which will pass under the 1-1/2" OD overarm is 4". Not certain at this point how much clearance above the table a 4" cutter would have with the table in its lowest position.

      Anthony
      Berkeley, Calif.
      In a message dated Wed Apr 9, 2014 7:27 pm (PDT), jtiers writes:
      I suppose the otehr issue is that it has a somewhat small work envelope, and IIRC has less clearance under the overarm than otehr similar sized mills. That latter is more of a limit than you might think at first, since the cutter diameter affects the depth of a cut.
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic