      Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 5:08 PM
      Subject: Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Atlas Mill limitations??

      That's about what I was going to say.  Except that period sources that I've read only said that the zinc was either impure, not of sufficient purity, or contaminated.  The contamination referred to may well have been lead.  In any case, at this distance in time if anyone acquires a mill, lathe or shaper with all good Zamak parts, they will still be good parts when we all go to our rewards.  Unless of course the operator crashes the machine in which case any parts failure is his or her fault, not the part's.  :-)

      Now it is true that even as late as about 1972 Atlas designers used Zamak in places that it wasn't suited for.  Apparently the company memory didn't quite last from the mid 1930's until 1972.  But other than that, the Zamak issue is just something that Atlas bashers like to trot out and tell to people who don't know any better.  Like the bad batches of parts from the 1940's, the information is contaminated.

      Robert Downs - Houston