82654Re: [atlas_craftsman] 3996 crossfeed speeds, was 3996 crossfeed nuts class 4g

    May 12, 2013
      Pretty much any dog will work if it's the right size.  :-)

      Armstrong made the same lathe dogs from at least the 30's until at least the 80's.  If you'll send me the Item Number, I'll take a look at them.

      Robert Downs - Houston

      In a message dated 05/12/2013 18:38:47 PM Central Daylight Time, tmgsr@... writes:
      >On Thu, 9 May 2013 11:28:17 -0400 (EDT), wa5cab@...:
      >
      >>Tom,
      >>
      >>The original No. 142A set of four sold by Atlas had openings to handle
      >>1/2", 3/4", 1" and 1-1/2".  I would think maybe anything larger might be getting
      >>too heavy.  I bought the set and the face plate to drive it when I bought
      >>my 3996 in 1981.  And have to admit that I've only ever used any of them a
      >>few times.  The two operations where you would definitely need them would be
      >>turning a taper by the tailstock set-over method and checking or setting
      >>tail-stock set over to zero.  The latter being the only usage I can actually
      >>remember.
      >
      >ok thank you!

      how do I tell if I'm buoying the correct dogs, there is s et now I was
      looking at, but they said something about them being made in 52, I do
      not see sizes or  part number on them, or will any dogs work?

      thanks!
      tom

    • Show all 69 messages in this topic