82041Re: [atlas_craftsman] Oiling My "New" Timken Headstock

  • James Irwin
    Apr 4, 2013
      Re: [atlas_craftsman] Oiling My "New" Timken Headstock While the felt might filter the oil somewhat, its main purpose is to very slowly feed oil to the bearings.
      Flooding them does little good and leaves them dry pretty quickly. No matter how much oil is present, only the tiniest bit of it does the work. Still that tiny bit is critical to bearing life and smooth operation.

      Consider the ball bearings in a 2 cycle engine, lubricated by a mist of 50:1 dilution in gasoline.
      It don’t take much.

      Jim Irwin

      On 4/4/13 11:51 AM, "Glenn N" wrote:

      That sounds about right to me.  The bearing shields retain a bit of oil down in the bearings and as long as you give it a squirt every day you use it the oil will do it's thing.  The main reason for the felt is to filter the oil.
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic