      Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2013 12:27 AM
      Subject: Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: 10F Oil Cups - Again

      No, you don't.  As I wrote sometime last month, I bought some felt rod but when it arrived, it turned out to be almost solid.  The correct density will be such that you can squeeze it almost flat with thumb and forefinger.

      Robert D.

      In a message dated 03/10/2013 00:03:04 AM Central Standard Time, jerdal@... writes:
      When I added way lube oil cups to my Logan carriage, I took some felt and "teased it out" to open it, tugging it apart until it was about the density of yarn.  Otherwise it will be almost an oil blockade.

      You do NOT want to fill up the cup with high density felt, IMO.....

      What I wanted with the felt was not a flow regulator, but rather a 'filter" for swarf and so forth that might otherwise go down the hatch despite flip covers.

      If you need to regulat flow, you need a different type of cup, wher the middle has a pipe coming up, so it holds oil.  Then you put a wick down the pipe, dipping into the oil, which moves oil slowly from teh cup to the bearing by capillary action.

      JT
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic