81658Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: 10F Oil Cups - Again

    Mar 8, 2013
      Jim,

      I would avoid the tall ones.  Sooner or later you'll hit one of them with something and break it off.  McMaster lists the one as for 5/16" hole but then says that it is tapered and doesn't actually give the diameter on the bottom end.  I would personally probably buy the originals but the ones McMaster has are cheap enough that if they don't fit it isn't any great loss.  The wicks from Clausing wouldn't fit but you could buy a sheet of low density felt from a hobby store and with an arch punch eventually make two if the McMaster cups turn out to fit in the holes securely enough.

      The oil hole covers appear to be like the right-angle ones on the Atlas QCGB - oil goes straight through rather than being a slow supply.

      Robert D.

      In a message dated 03/08/2013 05:30:43 AM Central Standard Time, jflan@... writes:
      Yes, 5/16" appears to be the closest next larger size (0.3125").  I guess I could drill out the holes as I have the headstock completely dismantled including bearing races.

      I do notice that there are 'Oil Hole Covers' and 'Oil Cups'.  Different but similar.  The hole covers are just straight through tubes whereas the cups have a oil retention mechanism even if it also includes the wick.  The ones that came out of the lathe had a small drip hole at the bottom of the cup.  This drip hole plus the wick is what is desired.  I would believe that the oil hold cover could be adapted by pressing in a small brass washer into the bottom of the oil hole cover.  The true oil cups that I've looked at are physically tall and more expensive.  This is not a bad but good thing, unless you are intent on keeping the same 'look' of the headstock.

      -Jim

      --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, wa5cab@... wrote:

      >McMaster lists 5/16" ones that might fit the holes.  But the reservoirs
      >look to be much smaller than the originals.  And they do not come with the felt
      >wicks.  Cheaper, though.
      >
      >In a message dated 03/07/2013 21:04:52 PM Central Standard Time,
      >terry.lund@... writes:
      >>On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 8:30 PM, Jim <jflan@...> wrote:
      >>>>
      >>>I posted recently in regards to removing the oil cups in my 10F
      >>>headstock. Well, I got them out but damaged them in the process. No big deal,
      >>>right? Well, I'm having trouble finding an acceptable replacement. The
      >>>headstock hole size measured .303" and I haven't found anything that will directly
      >>>press in. Does anyone know of an acceptable replacement? Any suggestions?
      >>>
      >>>  >>Jim, Clausing can supply them  but the price for part #9-204 is $32.64
      >>each in stock. I believe I've read that they are available from McMaster Carr
      >>or the other suppliers.
      >>
      >>--
      >>Terry

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic