81657Re: 10F Oil Cups - Again

  • Jim
    Mar 8, 2013
      Yes, 5/16" appears to be the closest next larger size (0.3125"). I guess I could drill out the holes as I have the headstock completely dismantled including bearing races.

      I do notice that there are 'Oil Hole Covers' and 'Oil Cups'. Different but similar. The hole covers are just straight through tubes whereas the cups have a oil retention mechanism even if it also includes the wick. The ones that came out of the lathe had a small drip hole at the bottom of the cup. This drip hole plus the wick is what is desired. I would believe that the oil hold cover could be adapted by pressing in a small brass washer into the bottom of the oil hole cover. The true oil cups that I've looked at are physically tall and more expensive. This is not a bad but good thing, unless you are intent on keeping the same 'look' of the headstock.

      -Jim

      --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, wa5cab@... wrote:

      > McMaster lists 5/16" ones that might fit the holes. But the reservoirs
      > look to be much smaller than the originals. And they do not come with the felt
      > wicks. Cheaper, though.
      >
      > In a message dated 03/07/2013 21:04:52 PM Central Standard Time,
      > terry.lund@... writes:
      > > On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 8:30 PM, Jim <jflan@...> wrote:
      > > >>
      > >> I posted recently in regards to removing the oil cups in my 10F
      > >> headstock. Well, I got them out but damaged them in the process. No big deal,
      > >> right? Well, I'm having trouble finding an acceptable replacement. The
      > >> headstock hole size measured .303" and I haven't found anything that will directly
      > >> press in. Does anyone know of an acceptable replacement? Any suggestions?
      > >>

      > > Jim, Clausing can supply them but the price for part #9-204 is $32.64
      > > each in stock. I believe I've read that they are available from McMaster Carr
      > > or the other suppliers.
      > >
      > > --
      > > Terry
      >
      > Robert & Susan Downs - Houston