81631Re: Dividing Qs

  • anthrhodes
    Mar 4, 2013
      Ryan,

      As far as I know, there are several solutions to the gear issue. I'm presuming that the gear is part of the usual hi/low range spindle drive.

      Purchase an exact nylon replacement.
      I think Little Machine Shop may have a metal gear replacement kit.
      Cut your own replacement gear in whatever material suits you.
      I think Little machine Shop may have an all belt drive replacement kit, supposed to be quieter and prevent breakage.

      If you cut your own replacement gear you will need to index. What tooth counts are you dealing with? Do you have any loose gears which might be used for indexing? If so, what gears? Anything else which might be used for indexing (besides your questions regarding the Atlas lathe)? You will also need a cutter of some sort, either borrowed, purchased, or home made.

      Anthony
      Berkeley, Calif.
      In a message dated Sat Mar 2, 2013 8:17 pm (PST), smudgemo1 writes:
      I would like to cut a replacement for the nylon gear for my grizzly mill that sheared a few weeks ago. It's back-ordered until April of course, but by the time I figure it out and do the job, the replacement will show up. So I'll just keep focused on making bicycles for now.
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic