816[atlas_craftsman] re: re: Tool Bit Help

  • Lynn Chidester
    Jul 6 9:49 AM
      Ron:

      I found the book, and as usual, I got the title wrong. "Fine Woodworking
      on Making and Modifying Machines" by Taunton Press, ISBN 0-918804-43-4. I
      got my copy at the local supplier of hardwoods for our woodworking
      "cousins". The statement which to me was the most informative was that the
      shaper knifes are mounted on a chord of the shaper head cutter, (rather
      than a radius), and so the knife profile will not match the cut profile. I
      believe (since toolbits have some top relief, akin to the angle at which
      the shaper knife contact the wood) the same applies for metal lathe contour
      work, and so similar techniques should work. Get the book, and check out
      the sidebar/diagram on page 73. If you use the same geometric construction
      techniques, and translate: contact angle=side rake angle, clearance
      angle=side relief angle, you should be able to create whatever contour you
      wish. The side cutting edge angle, end cutting edge angle, and end relief
      angle(s) on metal lathe bits do complicate things somewhat.

      Good luck!
      Lynn
      -------------
      Original Text
      From: Lynn Chidester <lynn.chidester@...>, on 6/30/99 2:34 PM:
      Ron:

      One of the Fine Woodworking books (Making Machinery & Tools, I think)
      treats this from a different angle. The problem there is to generate a
      molding head cutter with a particular shape. Most of these heads have the
      cutters mounted at an angle to the axis of rotation/wood to be cut. The
      same techniques used to generate a particular shape should work for lathe
      bit contour work. If you would like, I could find the article, and give
      you further details.

      Good luck

      -------------
      Original Text
      From: Ronald Thibault <thibault@...>, on 6/21/99 6:19 PM:
      I have a question. I know that if you grind a curve in the tool
      bit
      (looking from the top) it will cut that radius only if the top is left
      unground, and the curve cut if top clearance (I think that's the term) is
      ground in will be different from the original curve ground in the side.
      My question is: Will the resulting machined curve in the workpiece
      be of a larger or smaller radius than the original curve of the toolbit,
      without the top clearance?

      Ronald Thibault
      North Augusta, SC USA

      Builder Miinie #2
      Captain R/C Combat Ship USS Arizona
      http://members.toast.net/thibault/

      Don't let the next virus knock you out! Special Offer to eGroups members
      Install @Backup by June 30th and win a $100 Gift Certificate from Amazon
      .com and @Backup free for a year! http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/363

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/atlas_craftsman

      Varian X-Ray Tube Products
      with locations in Illinois, South Carolina, and Utah

      FreeShop is the #1 place for free and trial offers and great deals!
      Try something new and discover more ways to save!
      http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/381