72587Re: Clausing purchase of Atlas - date

  • david.deboize@verizon.net
    Jan 1, 2012
      wa5cab,
      Don't know if you found out anything further online, but below is quick history on Atlas:

      This company was founded 1911 as the G. T. Eames Co. to make arbor presses. In 1919, the name changed to Atlas Press Co. to capitalize on the brand recognition of their main product. We have also seen the name Atlas Tool and Machine Co., but don't know how it fits in.

      During the 1920s they added drill presses and metalworking lathes to their line. During the 1930s they added wood lathes to their line. In 1934 they began making drill presses and wood lathes for Sears Roebuck, which marketed them under the Craftsman, Companion, and Dunlap names. At some point, reportedly in 1935, they obtained the "Power King" line of woodworking machinery by purchasing Power King Corp., formerly Portable Power Tool Corp. In 1950 they purchased the higher-end machine tool maker Clausing Lathe Co.; by the mid-1950s they were focusing on the industrial and commercial metalworking markets, and in 1960 they sold the woodworking equipment line to Black & Decker.

      In 1969 (one source says 1965), the Atlas Press Co. changed its name to Clausing Corp., and some time later, to Clausing Industrial, Inc.

      The Atlas Press Co. web site gives a company history.

      Address (1949 Popular Mechanics): 1819 N. Pitcher St, Kalamazoo 13D, Michigan.