      From: "david.deboize@..." <david.deboize@...>
      To: atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sun, January 1, 2012 10:23:31 AM
      Subject: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Clausing purchase of Atlas - date

      A few months ago I read the history on Atlas Press Com. From what I remembered
      it was the other way around. Atlas sometime in the fifties purchased Clausing.
      Later in time Atlas assumed the name Clausing. I don't remember the exact dates,
      but I will try to look it up again and get back to you.

      One story goes is after the Clausing purchase, Atlas retagged the clausing
      lathes to reflect the Atlas name. An exec was visiting one of the Clausing
      plants, when a potential customer came in asking for a Clausing lathe, the exec
      told him that the Atlas lathes were the same as the Clausing ones. THe customer
      stated that he wanted a Clausing not an Atlas and walked out. The lathes soon
      after were retagged again to the Clausing name.