72574Re: Clausing purchase of Atlas - date

  • david.deboize@verizon.net
    Jan 1, 2012
      A few months ago I read the history on Atlas Press Com. From what I remembered it was the other way around. Atlas sometime in the fifties purchased Clausing. Later in time Atlas assumed the name Clausing. I don't remember the exact dates, but I will try to look it up again and get back to you.

      One story goes is after the Clausing purchase, Atlas retagged the clausing lathes to reflect the Atlas name. An exec was visiting one of the Clausing plants, when a potential customer came in asking for a Clausing lathe, the exec told him that the Atlas lathes were the same as the Clausing ones. THe customer stated that he wanted a Clausing not an Atlas and walked out. The lathes soon after were retagged again to the Clausing name.