71227Re: timken oil cup wont hold oil on atlas 12

  • steve_beard16
    Nov 1, 2011
      --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Scott Henion <shenion@...> wrote:

      > On 10/31/2011 10:41 PM, steve_beard16 wrote:
      > > Just bought my first lathe a atlas 12 went through and degreased everything then relubed the lathe. the left timken oil cup will not hold any oil it just drains straight through and leaks out the bottom of the lathe. Before I tear into it any ideas on what it might be also anything else I should should do or check before i start running the lathe?
      > >
      > > Thanks, Steve Beard
      > >

      > Sounds normal. There should be a felt wick in the cup that slowly drips
      > oil on the bearing.
      >
      > Without them it will just fall into the bearing race, fill it up and
      > overflow.
      >
      > Mine are near dry everytime i use the lathe. Add enough to soak the wick
      > and then use the lathe. the manual says oil them on every use.
      >
      > Yes, it will drip out. There is no bearing seal, just a dust cover.
      >

      > --

      > Scott G. Henion
      > Craftsman 12x36 lathe:
      > http://shdesigns.org/Craftsman12x36

      I didnt originally think that it was sealed but when i filled the timken bearing cup for the right timken bearing it hold the oil and doesn't flow through. Looks like I could have a problem with that one as it keeps a constant level, maybe it is clogged.

      Do you know where I can buy the wicks, or make some? are they susposed to be used for every cup or only timken bearing cups
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic