68984Re: Replacement motor

  • ivan
    May 1, 2011
      Cecil,

      I'm also new to lathe work. A friend donated a complete treadmill motor and controller setup for me to try on my 618. The treadmill parts were all kind of ugly but spun up nicely. The only missing part needed was a tensioning device and a blank drive pulley from McMaster Carr. But when I asked a machinist friend to bore it to fit the treadmill motor shaft precisely, he wanted to come see my setup. Looking it over he said I'd be crazy to change my setup to use the treadmill motor. He believed that the old 1/4 HP motor and pulley spindle set up was far more robust and had all the speeds I would ever need.

      I kind of liked the looks of the older setup, and the purity of keeping it more original, so the treadmill motor etc languishes in a box until I can return it to my friend.

      Just passing that POV along. Good luck...
      Ivan

      --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Cecil D" <cbdeajr@...> wrote:

      > Just got a treadmill motor that I would like to mount on my 618. What is the best way to do this. As I am new to metal working I can use all the suggestion I
      > can get.
      >
      > Thanks in advance
      >
      > Cecil

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic