      From: Scott Henion <shenion@...>
      Subject: Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Old Craftsman Lathe - Mine for the Asking
      To: atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, November 30, 2010, 10:21 PM

      On 11/30/2010 11:09 PM, Charlie Gallo wrote:
      > On 11/30/2010 Scott Henion wrote:
      >
      >> > Make a VFD? not an easy task.
      > As I know guys who do it every day, I'd have to say "depends on how GOOD a VFD you want"  I've tested/debugged more than a few "back when", when it was way harder, as a lot of the chipsets in use today didn't exist.  Of course, the guys I'm talking about are usually working with VFDs and AC inverter drives measured in the 100s, if not 1000s of Kw (Hint, EMD uses some of their stuff to run locomotives, and their stuff replaced most of the mechanical 25 Hz inverters for the NYC subway)

      Ok, thought you might be one who things a VFD is just a light dimmer ;)

      With a chipset, it is not bad but still a lot of parts and would require
      makeing a PCB as most chips these days are surface mount. Not a big deal
      (I do several boards a year.) Just a lot of stuff to debug.

      Not worth my time when you can get a VFD for $120 new. ;) I paid $38 for
      mine (new, surplus).

      --

          Scott G. Henion

      The Atlas-Craftsman Wiki is at http://pico-systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi