66241Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Old Craftsman Lathe - Mine for the Asking

  • Bruce Freeman
    Dec 1, 2010
      Grab that lathe!

      As a newbie to a newbie, I suggest you get a 1/3 or 1/2 HP single phase
      motor, preferably with some appropriate pulley already in place. As someone
      else asserted, a used motor may well be fine. Preferably power it up before
      you buy it, but I've bought used motors for $5-$10, and have seldom been
      disappointed.

      I don't know that model lathe. On my old Atlas, the motor hangs out back,
      so advice not to get an open frame motor is good for me. However, the lathe
      in the photo seems to show an enclosure for the motor. If the motor is out
      of range of grease and chips, an open frame might be fine. And washing
      machine motors are dirt cheap.

      You probably already know that you can't run a 3-phase unless you're wired
      for it, which most home shops are not, and it's not cheap to bring in
      3-phase power if you don't have it already. 3-phase motors, I understand,
      are noted mostly for delivering high torque and electrical efficiency in a
      relatively small package. You don't necessarily need that.

      If you use a higher-HP motor, you'll have a higher torque. If you need high
      torque, you need it, but I strongly suggest you go with low torque until you
      know -- you can always change out the motor later. You're less likely to do
      damage to your work, your lathe and yourself with a low torque machine. I
      can stop the rotation of my lathe chuck by hand, mainly due to belt
      slippage, and I wouldn't have it any other way -- too much chance for an
      inexperienced person like me to get injured otherwise.

      And while a VFD is sexy and no doubt useful and convenient, you certainly
      don't need it to get started.

      So, get the lathe, put a cheap used motor on it, and start learning!

      --
      Bruce
      NJ