63655Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Update on the lathe 109

  • jerdal@sbcglobal.net
    Jun 1, 2010
      Those defending the 109......................whatever.....

      I had one and I got good work off of it. I got rid of it, and I DO NOT miss

      Yes it will teach you things. Not all of them will you really want to

      But the various "features", such as the crosslide, which as-delivered
      advances 41.66666... thousandths per turn, etc, etc, just make it
      un-necessary to consider it seriously when there are much more usable lathes
      around. If you wanted, you could fix many of the issues, but....

      I WILL say that the crosslide is a lot heavier than the lace-like network on
      some Atlas 618.

      If you like it, and consider it in some way "ideal", more power to you...
      maybe you like "hair shirts" too.

      For myself, I COULD NOT do the work I do on the 10" Logan on that 109, and
      neither could you. It just would not fit, and even if it did, the prospect
      of spending hours nibbling off tiny threads of metal while listening to the
      ear-splitting clanging/ringing din of the back gear housing does not appeal
      in any way.