63652Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Update on the lathe 109

  • Mike Nicewonger
    Jun 1, 2010
      On Jun 1, 2010, at 12:22 AM, Dean wrote:

      > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Scott Henion <shenion@...>
      > wrote:
      >>
      >> On 5/31/2010 11:40 PM, jerdal@... wrote:
      >>> IMO the article is of little practical use......... but then IMO
      >>> the 109 is
      >>> of little practical use (I had one once), so.......

      >> Yes, same here. IMO, one of the sloppiest lathes out there.
      >
      > Meh. Anyone can get good work out of larger lathes.
      > So the 109 is a small one, and a bit of a challenge. It'll turn you
      > into a machinist. Teach you things. Make you listen to it.
      >
      > If it's what a guy's got, he can get some stuff done, if he's
      > workman-like.
      >
      > Original poster; I still don't know what info you're looking for in
      > the update article you mention, but there are some things you can do
      > to help the lathe do a good job for you. Go to my webpage and scroll
      > down to the Craftsman 109 section, right beneath the Atlas section:
      >
      > http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html
      >
      > Good luck, and have some fun with it.

      Dean, thank you for stepping in before I could.

      Yup the 109 is a limited machine with a few issues that need to be
      overcome.

      However, to simply dismiss the thing is truly uncalled for.

      I am among the few folks who seem to like the old 109 series machines.
      With some effort they can be made to do good work. The main
      consideration to keep in mind is that the machine is a light one. Make
      the improvements mentioned in the the "aa docs" file and elsewhere and
      you can make good parts with a 109.

      OP... Many of the things you were asking about are covered in the AA
      docs files found in the 109 files for this group.

      Now go make some chips.

      --
      Mike N
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic