52350Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: OT: bending a coil of 3/8" spring wire

  • Michael Fagan
    Oct 1, 2008
      Yes. By the way, if you're trying to weigh a lathe, there are many
      other (potentially better) ways to go about this. The best would be
      to buy or rent a large spring scale which can be hung from a hoist or
      forklift. You can find ones in the 5 ton+ range. Or, you can get
      several load cells or reasonably high capacity scales and place them
      under the feet of the lathe.
      The easiest method IMO would be to try and get the weight from the
      manufacturer's literature. It is commonly included along with the
      dimensions and other specifications.

      On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 9:42 AM, sstephanc <sstephanc@...> wrote:
      > A water quench will leave it hard. This is why proof-reading is important.
      > While writing about
      > water quench, I was thinking about not heat treating at all, so they got
      > combined into one,
      > compact though incorrect sentence. By heating to bend, probably at least
      > orange hot, then
      > quenching, there will be heat effected zones where it was not hot enough for
      > the quench to
      > harden, but hot enough to further temper the original hardening. If
      > anything, not quenching
      > will probably be safer as I can watch it bend and stop, rather than have it
      > fracture and drop
      > the lathe I am trying to weigh with this spring.
      > Scott
      > ----- Yesterday Scott wrote:
      >> It is probably just high-carbon steel, so air cooling
      >> would not harden it, but a water quench may leave it too soft to resist
      >> bend in use.
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic