49505RE: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Lathe speeds - halifax 524

  • Steve Mayall
    Feb 5, 2008
      After much messing about, I bought an old tacho off eBay. It's a Starret
      tacho quite like this one:

      http://physics.kenyon.edu/EarlyApparatus/Mechanics/Tachometer/Tachometer.htm

      You reset it and pop the end in your spinning chuck. Time it for a minute
      and the see how many revs it has counted. The scale on the outside counts
      revs (1-100) and the inside scale clicks over every 100 revs.

      I have some info for my Halifax 524 if that's any use to anyone:

      I didn't change motor drive pulleys right now as it's too much hassle, but
      with the motor connected to the smaller pully and Pully 1 being the largest
      drive pully (top left) just above/behind the headstock the speeds in RPM
      were:

      Backgear - 85

      I hope this info is useful to someone.

      Cheers