46346Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: updated tool post / chuck / accuracy adjustments

    Apr 3, 2007
      redsouljoe wrote:
      > http://cgi.ebay.com/BISON-3285-3W856-5IN-3-JAW-THREAD-MOUNT-LATHE-
      > CHUCK_W0QQitemZ130095425275QQcategoryZ25292QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
      >
      > How does this chuck stack up? I feel like a novice for asking, but what
      > is a backing plate? I can only assume it's a threaded adapter plate
      > that screws on the headstock and attahes to the chuck. The only reason
      > I ask is because I have a chuck that screws directly on the headstock;
      > seems like it cuts out the middle man. Will this threaded chuck fit my
      > lathe?
      You are right about what the backing plate is. The reason for
      it is that the plate can be machined to run perfectly true on
      YOUR lathe spindle. Then, the precision-machined chuck body
      will bolt onto a surface that runs exactly true. If there are
      dings, slight warpage, etc. on the spindle, the chuck will still
      run true.

      The 1.5-8 thread should fit any 10 or 12" Atlas or
      Atlas/Craftsman lathe.