41314Re: Craftsman 6" cut off tool

  • Hank
    Jan 2, 2006
      >Speeds have been moderate, though I can't tell
      >you the speed.

      If you aren't using the back gear it's probably too fast. It's
      amazing how slowly the work can turn and have the parting tool
      advance right through the piece. Entirely different than
      turning. Jon mentioned how he uses a very slow speed, too.

      >Would also like to find a quality source for a cut off tool.
      >Presently, I am unable to resharpen bits and rely on removable
      >carbide tips for most of my work.

      Although I have carbide and HSS for turning, I only have HSS and
      cobalt parting blades. The narrower one (HSS) seems to work
      very well. It can't be more than 1/16 inch thick. How thick is
      your carbide cutter?

      Hank
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlas618lathe/
      Yahoo Group just for 6" Atlas/Craftsman lathes
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic