37592Re: [atlas_craftsman] Metalcraft Screw Cutting Lathe circa 1933

  • gto69ra4@aol.com
    Mar 4, 2005
      Thanks for the clarification. That's why I said it was "basically" pot metal.
      Zamak is mosty zinc, aluminum, and copper. I think, depending on what source
      you read, it also could has magnesium and/or lead for some applications. From
      what I've heard lead being present (or in excess quantities) in earlier Atlas
      parts is what caused them to turn into dust.

      Regardless of what Atlas said, I have a hard time imagining how it compares
      to grey iron. It doesn't wear terribly well and can either deform or break
      easily under the right conditions.

      GTO(John)

      In a message dated 3/4/2005 1:46:27 PM Eastern Standard Time, dswr@...
      writes:
      As I understand it, pot metal contains lead and copper. Zamak,
      hopefully, contains no lead. (impurities, such as lead will cause the
      alloy to fail prematurely) Zamak has properties similar to cast iron.
      and if properly made stands up to use quite well (50 plus year old parts
      still going strong)

      The only beef I have with Zamak is you can't solder or braze it.

      Of course this is my 2 cents worth only. 8-)

      Leo (pearland, tx)