30624Re: Smooth Cuts??? -

  • Kenneth Mayer
    Jan 5, 2004
      > Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 02:46:09 -0500
      > From: "mertbaker" <MertBaker@...>
      >
      >The cross slide nut was badly worn on one of my lathes. I repairded it
      with
      >some "thread restorer" goop from loctite that I bot in an auto parts store.
      >Seems there are several other brands, too. Claim is, the resored nut is
      >equal to grade 5 strength. all I know, is the slop is gone, and to follow
      >the instructions exactly, or else.

      Hmmm...I'll have to try it sometime.

      >> >My cross way slide is smoth, it moves from play in the cross way
      >> >screw. Its probably worn...and I need to get another. Im guessing
      >> >the gib adjustment are the screws on the sides that tighten the
      >> >crossmovement? I adjusted the easy movement with a little tightness.

      The saddle dovetails could be worn such that they are no longer parallel.
      In this case adjusting the gibs with the cross-slide backed all the way out
      will result in it binding as it moves inward. The only cure is to mill the
      dovetails.

      >> The gib should be tightened to keep the cross slide from rocking or any
      >> looseness. Tightening it to try to compensate for backlash in the
      >> screw will just lead to even faster wear. The nuts on the handle can be
      >> adjusted to take out almost all the free play in the thrust bearing for
      >the
      >> leadscrew. There is no provision for removing the backlash on the
      >> leadscrew/nut, however. (Some high-end lathes have backlash compensating
      >> nuts that allow you to reduce backlash to a very small value.) The only
      >> solutions I know of are to apply Moglice or other castable liner material
      >> in the nut, or to make or buy a new nut. They really aren't that hard to
      >> make. (Note that the cross slide screw is LEFT hand! I missed that
      >little
      >> detail when I made a new screw and nut!)

      The current issue (Jan/Feb 2004) of Home Shop Machinist has an article about
      repairing leadscrew nuts using Moglice. As Mert says, follow the
      instructions exactly. The other cure for a worn nut is to make or buy a new
      nut.

      Ken
      :-)
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic