30457Smooth Cuts??? -

  • chopped50ford
    Jan 1, 2004
      First, I made my first cut tonight. What fun.

      I have an old craftsman (atlas) 6" lathe. It is belt driven. Its
      approx. 1947-1950 model type to give you an idea.

      I noticed when cutting along a 6" piece of mild steel that the cross
      screw turns slightly at the same time not making your cuts smooth.
      almost wavy and full of slight ridges in the material. Basically it
      looks like a tree branch. ( think brass fitting or cross screw is
      worn as well, the rocker tool post moves slightly.

      What do I need to keep the tool from doing this. I have to almost
      hold the cross screw handle in one hand, which does not work,
      because I would slip and make it uneven along the way. Can you lock
      the cross screw?

      How should your tool be cut to make a nice smooth surface on mild
      steel. what belt position should the motor and main pulleys be in
      (RPM)

      Any secrets here that can help me.

      Thanks.
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic