17158Re: [atlas_craftsman] Newby basic question

  • Jim Dunmyer
    Apr 1, 2002
      Alan,
      When I got my first lathe, a 1933 Atlas 9", I bought an Atlas lathe
      manual from Sears. It has all the basics on lathe operation, grinding
      tool bits, threading tables, etc. I use it to this day; bought it in
      1966. I don't know if this is the manual still available from
      Atlas-Clausing or not.

      Another good basic manual is "How to Run a Lathe" by South Bend Lathe
      Works. It was published in 1942 and is available from Lindsay Books,
      http://www.lindsaybks.com

      <<Jim>>

      ukgoldsmith wrote:

      > Can someone please suggest a site where I can learn the basics of
      > lathe turning and basic lathe setup.
      >
      > Right now I need to know how to centre an odd shaped piece of metal
      > in a four jaw chuck for drilling and turning a flat surface.
      >
      > Sorry if this is not the right type of question to be asking here.
      >
      > Regards
      > Alan UK

      <<http://www.oldengine.org/members/jdunmyer>>
      <<jdunmyer@...>>