14978Re: Lathe model 12" clutch (was:Re: [atlas_craftsman] late model 12" question)

  • Ronald Thibault
    Jan 1, 2002
      At 04:13 PM 12/30/01 -0500, you wrote:
      >I don't know if it is the same as a clutch, but ShopTask has an automatic
      >release.
      >
      > AUTO THREAD / CARRIAGE STOP
      >THE SHOPMASTER HAS AN ADJUSTABLE CARRIAGE
      >STOP FOR THE X AXIS. WHEN BORING WITH THE
      >LATHE, THE STOPS CAN BE PRE-SET FOR THE EXACT
      >DEPTH. WHEN THE CARRIAGE REACHES THE PRE-SET
      >POSITION, THE GEARBOX DRIVE IS AUTOMATICALLY
      >DISCONNECTED. THE STOP WORKS WITH THE CARRIAGE
      >MOVING BOTH LEFT AND RIGHT. THE STOPS HAVE
      >QUICK RELEASE BUTTONS FOR FAST SETTING AND
      >MICROMETER DIALS FOR PRECISE SETUPS. THE STOP
      >IS USED FOR THE "AUTO THREAD" SYSTEM BY PRE
      >SETTING THE START AND STOP POINTS FOR REPEATED
      > THREAD PASSES. IT ALSO PREVENTS ACCIDENTAL
      >DAMAGE TO THE MACHINE BY STOPPING THE CARRIAGE
      >BEFORE IT CAN HIT THE CHUCK OR COLUMN.
      >This can be found at http://www.shoptask.com/standart_access.htm
      >David in Nashua, NH

      David;
      No that is a limit mechanism for the half nuts. On the later
      Atlas lathes there is a built in clutch on the leadscrew that slips to
      protect the gears if the carriage should hit something and stop. Rather
      than the leadscrew still try to turn until something breaks, the clutch
      slips, stopping the screw.

      Ron Thibault
      Warrenville, SC USA
      Builder Miinie #2