10380Re: [atlas_craftsman] Miller Needed

  • Ronald Thibault
    May 6, 2001
      At 03:24 AM 4/30/01 +0000, you wrote:
      >Hey folks I have finally decided to add a milling machine to my
      >basement collection of metal working machinery. I am torn between
      >the reasonable priced Grizzly mini mill at about 500 bucks and the
      >clausing 8520. From what I can tell the Clausing will be a machine I
      >can move into as I actually learn how to use a milling machine.
      >However I think it will be hard to find. Ebay is for sharks...I mean
      >sellers. Prices go out of reach in a hurry. Do you know of anyone
      >who has the Clausing machine they woulkd like to sell?
      >Jim

      Jim;
      I am presently restoring a Clausing 8520. There is NO comparison
      between it and a mini-mill! Go for the 8520! It is a true mill, not just
      a small parts hobby mill. It also is much better than the
      mill-drills. The knee makes height changes a snap, whereas the mill-drills
      require re-aligning to the workpiece if the head is raised or lowered.

      You can see what I've done so far on my Web site (address below).

      Ron Thibault
      North Augusta, SC USA
      Builder Miinie #2
      Captain R/C Combat Ship USS Arizona