Re: Raspberry Pi server

  • wolfiegoth
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 22, 2013
      Ok tried it and it compiled no issues at all.

      great stuff

      Regards
      Marc

      --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, Enno Rehling wrote:

      > I figured out the problem. I had upgraded parts of the server to using Lua
      > 5.2 and gcc's built-in bool type, but had not completely reflected that
      > back into the vanilla server that is on github. The following sequence of
      > commands will now build a server on my RasPi:
      > git clone git://github.com/eressea/server.git
      > cd server/
      > git submodule update --init
      > ./configure
      >

      > On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Enno Rehling wrote:
      >
      > > If you, or anybody else, are having problems compiling Eressea, please
      > > don't hesitate to send me an email. I'm always pleased to see that somebody
      > > is trying to use that code, after doing all the work to make it publicly
      > > available.
      > >

      > > On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 4:17 AM, wolfiegoth wrote:
      > >
      > >> The Atlantis 5.x code compiled with no issues at all.
      > >> I am concerned about eventual memory usage but I figure on upgrading to
      > >> the 512mb raspi before long so I imagine I will stay ahead of the curve :-)
      > >> Oddly I could not get Eressea to compile in the raspbian distribution at
      > >> all. Lots of strange Lua related issues.
      > >>
      > >> Time will tell!
      > >> Marc

      > >> compiled
      > >> version),
      > >> main

      > >> as
      > >> fun

      > >> it's
      > >> scripts.

      > >> the

      > >> progress.

    • wolfiegoth
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 22, 2013
        Ok tried it and it compiled no issues at all.

        great stuff

        Regards
        Marc

        --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, Enno Rehling wrote:

        > I figured out the problem. I had upgraded parts of the server to using Lua
        > 5.2 and gcc's built-in bool type, but had not completely reflected that
        > back into the vanilla server that is on github. The following sequence of
        > commands will now build a server on my RasPi:
        > git clone git://github.com/eressea/server.git
        > cd server/
        > git submodule update --init
        > ./configure
        >

        > On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Enno Rehling wrote:
        >
        > > If you, or anybody else, are having problems compiling Eressea, please
        > > don't hesitate to send me an email. I'm always pleased to see that somebody
        > > is trying to use that code, after doing all the work to make it publicly
        > > available.
        > >

        > > On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 4:17 AM, wolfiegoth wrote:
        > >
        > >> The Atlantis 5.x code compiled with no issues at all.
        > >> I am concerned about eventual memory usage but I figure on upgrading to
        > >> the 512mb raspi before long so I imagine I will stay ahead of the curve :-)
        > >> Oddly I could not get Eressea to compile in the raspbian distribution at
        > >> all. Lots of strange Lua related issues.
        > >>
        > >> Time will tell!
        > >> Marc

        > >> compiled
        > >> version),
        > >> main

        > >> as
        > >> fun

        > >> it's
        > >> scripts.

        > >> the

        > >> progress.

      • wolfiegoth
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 22, 2013
          I can't find the server docs on the github wiki is there a page or Readme anywhere?

        • Enno Rehling
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 22, 2013
          • 1 Attachment
          • 4 KB
          There is very little in terms of documentation, I'm afraid. I only open-sourced the code last year, and until then I've always held everything in my head, so that's where it needs to be pried from. The basic idea is that the server is controlled from Lua, which you can either do from an interactive console (start the server with -C for that), or from a script (there are scripts to run a turn, scripts to run the tests, etc in the scripts/ folder). I'm attaching an example that generates the world for a 150-player game I started about 3 years ago. I think some of the syntax has changed since then, but you'll get an idea of the kind of control over the game state that you have from these scripts.

          This code is not, currently, in a state where you can have a great out-of-the-box game up and running, it's more of a toolkit to build your own rule-set if you're willing to put in an effort. It would be nice to take it to a point where the pre-configured vanilla game is more fun, but that's beyond my current time commitment. I currently know of one game master who was running a game with a dozen friends, and one who is interested in setting up a bigger game, but still in early stages.

          Enno.

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              atlantisdev-digest@yahoogroups.com
              atlantisdev-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • wolfiegoth
          Message 5 of 22 , Jan 23, 2013
            Hi Enno,

            Thats understood. Thanks for the example script I will dissect and digest.
            There is never enough time to do all these things I know. I still appreciate being able to access the source.