Re: Eressea: Open Source

  • Enno Rehling
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 28, 2012
      It looks like the address eldericewyrm@... has been disabled by Yahoo. The owner sent me an email about Eressea this week, and I'm trying to get in touch, and I know he used to read this list:

      On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 9:22 PM, eldericewyrm <eldericewyrm@...> wrote:
      Hello Enno,

      [...] You use Hit point in Eressea, but in Atlantis, there was no HitPoints, only one life (except for some great monsters). The kill is lethal or not. There is no wounded creature like in Eressea.
      But do you store really for each men in an unit the hit point.
      For example, if there is 10 000 men, you store 10 000 values for the hit points ??

      I don't save the hitpoints for every unit. there are currently 12 million men in units controlled by players, if I stored hit points for each of them, that would be a lot of memory (on the order of 12 MB). Eressea stores the hitpoints for a unit (sum of the hitpoints for all men in the unit) in an integer per unit. There are approximately 200K units in the current game, so the total cost of this is 800 KB, and the difference doesn't matter in the bigger picture.

      Before a battle, I split each unit into individual men, and each one has a separate hitpoint counter, but because battles seldom have more than 100K fighters in them, that's also tolerable. The whole world does not fight at the same time. At the end of the battle, I add up all the hitpoints for the survivors in each unit again.

      If you'd like to take a look at the code, it's now on github: https://github.com/eressea/server - after 13 years of patching it up, it's not super pretty or consisten, but there it is.

      Enno.

    • Enno Rehling
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 3, 2014
        Hail Atlantis!

        Over the holidays, I finally got around to making all of my game
        Eressea publicly available. Up until then, only a reduced version of
        the game was on github, because I wanted to keep certain stats of
        monsters and spells confidential. Since the two running games are so
        far advanced that none of these things are great secrets any longer, I
        felt it was time to also release the rest of the game.

        The source code is on github, in https://github.com/eressea/server

        A little history about Eressea for those who wonder why the code looks
        so different from A5: This code was forked from German Atlantis (GA),
        which itself was a fork of either Atlantis 1.0 or 2.0 (I can't be
        sure, since most of that code has been replaced). In a way, it's a
        distant cousin to Atlantis 5, who grew up with parents that didn't
        believe in that new-fangled C++ religion.

        There have been several games based on versions of this code, some
        lasting only an extended weekend, but the longest (the second age, or
        E2) currently in turn 858, after 17+ of your earth years. Another
        long-running game, the third age (E3) is in week 237.

        There has been a little bit of interest from people forking the game
        in the past, and I know of one game that got off the ground despite
        the sparse documentation (but because Gabi badgered me until I
        explained things). Feel free to do the same if you like.

        You are welcome,
        Enno.
        --
        If you want to make a donation to the ongoing devleopment and hosting
        of this game, flattr me at https://flattr.com/thing/681354/Eressea