My new repositories

  • Anthony Briggs
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 14, 2012
      Hi All,

      Some of you might be interested to know that I've set up new repositories for some of my Atlantis tools. So far I have:

      My Atlantis turn parsing library:

      Genghis, an aggressive cyborg/semi-bot:

      GM turn-running tool, called Thera:

      These are all written in python, and kept on bitbucket in Mercurial. Yes, I'm a freak, I know.

      I have a few more minor tools to put up, including an alliance turn munger/collater and a game client written in curses. After that I'll look at collating the stuff that I've done so far on an Atlantis variant in Python (best one so far is https://bitbucket.org/anthonyb/fracas-old, which is a reworking of atlantis 1 into Python). I've had a couple of cracks at it, but it was hard to get the interest, plus I didn't really have huge amounts of time when I was writing it.

      There seems to be a bit of a revival, so perhaps a new engine might get some interest?

      Cheers,

      Anthony

    • stabliser
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 16, 2012
        Thank you - yes, interested. Will take a look.

        --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Briggs <anthony.briggs@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > Some of you might be interested to know that I've set up new repositories
        > for some of my Atlantis tools. So far I have:
        >
        > My Atlantis turn parsing library:
        > https://bitbucket.org/anthonyb/atlantis-lib
        >
        > Genghis, an aggressive cyborg/semi-bot:
        > https://bitbucket.org/anthonyb/atlantis-genghis
        >
        > GM turn-running tool, called Thera:
        > https://bitbucket.org/anthonyb/atlantis-thera
        >
        > These are all written in python, and kept on bitbucket in Mercurial. Yes,
        > I'm a freak, I know.
        >
        > I have a few more minor tools to put up, including an alliance turn
        > munger/collater and a game client written in curses. After that I'll look
        > at collating the stuff that I've done so far on an Atlantis variant in
        > Python (best one so far is https://bitbucket.org/anthonyb/fracas-old, which
        > is a reworking of atlantis 1 into Python). I've had a couple of cracks at
        > it, but it was hard to get the interest, plus I didn't really have huge
        > amounts of time when I was writing it.
        >
        > There seems to be a bit of a revival, so perhaps a new engine might get
        > some interest?
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Anthony

      • wolfiegoth
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 13, 2012
          A new engine would be nice.
          I am currently running a practice game and site (Atlantis 5.1) on a raspberry pi hopefully going live in Jan.

          Love the Raspberry pi.

          Rgds
          Marc

          --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Briggs <anthony.briggs@...> wrote:

          > Hi All,
          >
          > Some of you might be interested to know that I've set up new repositories
          > for some of my Atlantis tools. So far I have:
          >
          > My Atlantis turn parsing library:
          > https://bitbucket.org/anthonyb/atlantis-lib
          >
          > Genghis, an aggressive cyborg/semi-bot:
          > https://bitbucket.org/anthonyb/atlantis-genghis
          >
          > GM turn-running tool, called Thera:
          > https://bitbucket.org/anthonyb/atlantis-thera
          >
          > These are all written in python, and kept on bitbucket in Mercurial. Yes,
          > I'm a freak, I know.
          >
          > I have a few more minor tools to put up, including an alliance turn
          > munger/collater and a game client written in curses. After that I'll look
          > at collating the stuff that I've done so far on an Atlantis variant in
          > Python (best one so far is https://bitbucket.org/anthonyb/fracas-old, which
          > is a reworking of atlantis 1 into Python). I've had a couple of cracks at
          > it, but it was hard to get the interest, plus I didn't really have huge
          > amounts of time when I was writing it.
          >
          > There seems to be a bit of a revival, so perhaps a new engine might get
          > some interest?
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Anthony

        • Stephen Baillie
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 13, 2012

            A new engine would be nice.
            I am currently running a practice game and site (Atlantis 5.1) on a raspberry pi hopefully going live in Jan.

            Nice!

            Which ruleset are you using?  I'm still making changes to the Havilah one, and would be delighted to chat about balance.

            Steve.

          • wolfiegoth
            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 11, 2013
              --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Baillie wrote:

              > > A new engine would be nice.
              > > I am currently running a practice game and site (Atlantis 5.1) on a
              > > raspberry pi hopefully going live in Jan.
              > >
              > Nice!
              >
              > Which ruleset are you using? I'm still making changes to the Havilah one,
              > and would be delighted to chat about balance.
              >
              > Steve.

              we are indeed playing with Havilah at the moment. No crashes and everything stable so far but then there is only two of us putting the box through its paces right now.
              What changes are in the pipeline?

              Marc
            • wolfiegoth
              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 11, 2013

                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 14, 2013

                  we are indeed playing with Havilah at the moment. No crashes and everything stable so far but then there is only two of us putting the box through its paces right now.
                  What changes are in the pipeline?

                  An option to have a playable world without starting cities (this is working in my local copy; I'm just pondering whether to put it in non-Havilah rulesets), some balancing and renaming of ships, and balancing of demons and dragons.  I'm also pondering the repeated requests to move config data to an external file...

                  Steve.

                • wolfiegoth
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 14, 2013
                    No cities that sounds interesting I still no problems with my running copy though the map system that mimics globes was a little confusing at first as I hadnt seen that before.

                    Do any of the gui clients work well with Havilah? Are there any issues you want me to look out for?

                    Regards
                    Marc

                    --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Baillie wrote:

                    > > we are indeed playing with Havilah at the moment. No crashes and
                    > > everything stable so far but then there is only two of us putting the box
                    > > through its paces right now.
                    > > What changes are in the pipeline?
                    > >
                    > An option to have a playable world without starting cities (this is working
                    > in my local copy; I'm just pondering whether to put it in non-Havilah
                    > rulesets), some balancing and renaming of ships, and balancing of demons
                    > and dragons. I'm also pondering the repeated requests to move config data
                    > to an external file...
                    >
                    > Steve.

                  • Stephen Baillie
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jan 14, 2013

                      No cities that sounds interesting I still no problems with my running copy though the map system that mimics globes was a little confusing at first as I hadnt seen that before.

                      No STARTING cities, not no cities - so no special cities with unlimited markets and extra-strength city guards.   It still tries to start players in cities, but randomly chosen ones rather than dumping everyone together.

                      And yes, the icosahedral world setting did confuse a few people.  You can turn that off in havilah/rules.cpp if you like - look for the ICOSAHEDRAL_WORLD entry and change it to 0.  I happen to like it (but then, I would).

                      Do any of the gui clients work well with Havilah? Are there any issues you want me to look out for?

                       I used Atlantis Little Helper (ALH) with Havilah, and it worked fine.  There's an updated version on http://www.shadowlandgames.com/ that copes with some of the map irregularities :-)

                      Steve.

                    • wolfiegoth
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jan 14, 2013
                        Ah yes ok that makes sense
                        I think I will leave it on its a nice idea once you get it.

                        My fav used to be atlantis advisor but that seems to crash on the turn import.

                        --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Baillie wrote:

                        > > No cities that sounds interesting I still no problems with my running
                        > > copy though the map system that mimics globes was a little confusing at
                        > > first as I hadnt seen that before.
                        > >
                        > No STARTING cities, not no cities - so no special cities with unlimited
                        > markets and extra-strength city guards. It still tries to start players
                        > in cities, but randomly chosen ones rather than dumping everyone together.
                        >
                        > And yes, the icosahedral world setting did confuse a few people. You can
                        > turn that off in havilah/rules.cpp if you like - look for
                        > the ICOSAHEDRAL_WORLD entry and change it to 0. I happen to like it (but
                        > then, I would).
                        >
                        > > Do any of the gui clients work well with Havilah? Are there any issues you
                        > > want me to look out for?
                        > >
                        > I used Atlantis Little Helper (ALH) with Havilah, and it worked fine.
                        > There's an updated version on http://www.shadowlandgames.com/ that copes
                        > with some of the map irregularities :-)
                        >
                        > Steve.

                      • Anthony Briggs

                          Message 12 of 26 , Jan 15, 2013
                            --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Baillie wrote:

                            > some balancing and renaming of ships, and balancing of demons
                            > and dragons. I'm also pondering the repeated requests to move config data
                            > to an external file...

                            > Steve.

                            Seeing coders spending time tinkering with game balance seems a waste of their awesome skills :)

                            Yeah, an external config file would be very cool. I am of course one of the loudest (an probably annoyingly so) advocates for it, as I see a separation between game engine coding and game master world tweaking as being a good thing.

                            For example if unique items could exist, coders don't have to spend time creating the stats for the one ring, Excalibur, stormbringer, sting etc etc. they leave that for the GMs to set up. Likewise if someone wants a world full of different workshops like dwarf fortress, the coders need to create skills that only work in specific buildings, the GMs create the diversity.

                            However, does the config file have to stay the same after world creation ? will some/all of it be stored in the game.out file? or could the config file cope with modification as the world advances?

                            What would be in the most basic config file? silver, men and swords presumably.

                            Pete
                          • Andrey Repin
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jan 15, 2013
                              Greetings, stabliser!

                              >> some balancing and renaming of ships, and balancing of demons
                              >> and dragons. I'm also pondering the repeated requests to move config data
                              >> to an external file...

                              >> Steve.

                              s> Seeing coders spending time tinkering with game balance seems a waste of
                              s> their awesome skills :)

                              The problem is that certain balancing issues needs code to make them actually
                              work.

                              s> Yeah, an external config file would be very cool. I am of course one of the
                              s> loudest (an probably annoyingly so) advocates for it, as I see a separation
                              s> between game engine coding and game master world tweaking as being a good
                              s> thing.

                              You can't express game mechanics changes, such as new players spawn mechanics,
                              in terms of static configuration changes. You have to write an actual code for
                              them to work. For which, you, either, need to make changes in game engine, or
                              an engine that allow a kind of runtime scripting.

                              s> For example if unique items could exist, coders don't have to spend time
                              s> creating the stats for the one ring, Excalibur, stormbringer, sting etc
                              s> etc. they leave that for the GMs to set up.

                              THIS can, of course, be made a part of external configuration.

                              s> Likewise if someone wants a world full of different workshops like dwarf
                              s> fortress, the coders need to create skills that only work in specific
                              s> buildings, the GMs create the diversity.

                              As long, as the workshops etc. themselves are supported by the engine, you may
                              just edit the world once it's created.

                              s> However, does the config file have to stay the same after world creation ?
                              s> will some/all of it be stored in the game.out file? or could the config
                              s> file cope with modification as the world advances?

                              This is not a simple question, and it really depends on how you define the
                              config file.

                              s> What would be in the most basic config file? silver, men and swords presumably.

                              I'd say, that config should hold game parameters, which do not change over
                              time, and not affected through the game mechanics.
                              Like, the list of items available to the players, with their relevant
                              attributes, the recipes to create items, and the list of skills etc.
                              Essentially, the reciting of game rules in the part of skills, items and
                              buildings. Seeing as it is likely to be
                              a) way too long
                              b) may need tweaks on the run
                              it's not reasonable to throw it into game file.

                              --
                              WBR,
                              Andrey Repin (hell-for-yahoo@...) 15.01.2013, <22:29>
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jan 15, 2013

                                Har, people have been talking about config files for years! From back in the mists of time when JT was still maintainer ;)

                                Anthony

                                Message 15 of 26 , Jan 16, 2013
                                  Greetings, Anthony Briggs!

                                  AB> Har, people have been talking about config files for years! From back in
                                  AB> the mists of time when JT was still maintainer ;)

                                  Also, this.
                                  I'm a member of this list since Jan, 2001 (that's over twelve years already),
                                  and the idea wasn't new even then.

                                  --
                                  WBR,
                                  Andrey Repin (hell-for-yahoo@...) 17.01.2013, <02:57>
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jan 16, 2013

                                    Yeah- we've wanted it for years. =)
                                    Thought I'd pop by and say hi. =)

                                    On Jan 16, 2013 6:16 PM, "Andrey Repin" <hell-for-yahoo@...> wrote:
                                    Greetings, Anthony Briggs!

                                    AB> Har, people have been talking about config files for years! From back in
                                    AB> the mists of time when JT was still maintainer ;)

                                    Also, this.
                                    I'm a member of this list since Jan, 2001 (that's over twelve years already),
                                    and the idea wasn't new even then.

                                    --
                                    WBR,
                                     Andrey Repin (hell-for-yahoo@...) 17.01.2013, <02:57>
                                    Sorry for my terrible english...

                                    <*> Your email settings:
                                        Individual Email | Traditional

                                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                                    <*> To change settings via email:
                                        atlantisdev-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                        atlantisdev-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                  • wolfiegoth
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jan 25, 2013
                                      Hi found an interesting bug running Havilah.
                                      Mithril battleaxes are disabled in the game however a player tried to make them and its caused a segmentation fault. Thought it would be worth mentioning.

                                      Marc

                                      --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Baillie wrote:

                                      > > No cities that sounds interesting I still no problems with my running
                                      > > copy though the map system that mimics globes was a little confusing at
                                      > > first as I hadnt seen that before.
                                      > >
                                      > No STARTING cities, not no cities - so no special cities with unlimited
                                      > markets and extra-strength city guards. It still tries to start players
                                      > in cities, but randomly chosen ones rather than dumping everyone together.
                                      >
                                      > And yes, the icosahedral world setting did confuse a few people. You can
                                      > turn that off in havilah/rules.cpp if you like - look for
                                      > the ICOSAHEDRAL_WORLD entry and change it to 0. I happen to like it (but
                                      > then, I would).
                                      >
                                      > > Do any of the gui clients work well with Havilah? Are there any issues you
                                      > > want me to look out for?
                                      > >
                                      > I used Atlantis Little Helper (ALH) with Havilah, and it worked fine.
                                      > There's an updated version on http://www.shadowlandgames.com/ that copes
                                      > with some of the map irregularities :-)
                                      >
                                      > Steve.

                                    • Stephen Baillie
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jan 25, 2013

                                        Hi found an interesting bug running Havilah.
                                        Mithril battleaxes are disabled in the game however a player tried to make them and its caused a segmentation fault. Thought it would be worth mentioning.

                                        Odd.  When I try it I just get:

                                        Errors during turn:
                                        Weaponsmith (337): PRODUCE: Can't produce that.

                                        More information on how you got this to happen would be appreciated.

                                        Steve.

                                      • wolfiegoth
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jan 26, 2013
                                          I'll archive you up my game files to try and reproduce

                                          --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Baillie wrote:

                                          > > Hi found an interesting bug running Havilah.
                                          > > Mithril battleaxes are disabled in the game however a player tried to make
                                          > > them and its caused a segmentation fault. Thought it would be worth
                                          > > mentioning.
                                          > >
                                          > Odd. When I try it I just get:
                                          >
                                          > Errors during turn:
                                          > Weaponsmith (337): PRODUCE: Can't produce that.
                                          >
                                          > More information on how you got this to happen would be appreciated.
                                          >
                                          > Steve.

                                        • Enno Rehling
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jan 26, 2013

                                            If you can reproduce a crash like that, either run the server under gdb and get a call stack and some other info after it crashed (the BT command gives you a backtrace) or run the server under valgrind and show the output from that, either of those things would likely help somebody who knows the code.

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jan 28, 2013
                                              I will read up on those tools and do just that.

                                              Regards
                                              Marc

                                              --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, Enno Rehling wrote:

                                              > If you can reproduce a crash like that, either run the server under gdb and
                                              > get a call stack and some other info after it crashed (the BT command gives
                                              > you a backtrace) or run the server under valgrind and show the output from
                                              > that, either of those things would likely help somebody who knows the code.
                                              > On Jan 26, 2013 3:56 AM, "wolfiegoth" wrote:
                                              >
                                              > > I'll archive you up my game files to try and reproduce

                                              > > make
                                              > > > >
                                              > > > Odd. When I try it I just get:
                                              > > >
                                              > > > Errors during turn:
                                              > > > Weaponsmith (337): PRODUCE: Can't produce that.
                                              > > >
                                              > > > More information on how you got this to happen would be appreciated.
                                              > > >
                                              > > > Steve.

                                            • Stephen Baillie
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Feb 18, 2013
                                                On 26 January 2013 02:23, wolfiegoth <monsieurmarc@...> wrote:
                                                Hi found an interesting bug running Havilah.

                                                Mithril battleaxes are disabled in the game however a player tried to make them and its caused a segmentation fault. Thought it would be worth mentioning.

                                                With Marc's assistance I managed to track this down.  It appears to be a long-standing bug that most platforms seem to ignore, and only showed up intermittently even on the RaspberyyPi.

                                                There is now a fix for this available in the github repository.

                                                On a related matter though, Marc is using Thera, and I noticed while tracking down the bug that Thera processes the times and rumours before the turn runs - which means that the automatically generated times articles that Havilah produces will always be missed by it.  A cursory look at the code seems to indicate that it'd be fairly simple to swap the order around, but I thought I'd ask whether anyone more familiar with Thera than I could comment on whether this would cause problems with the way Thera works.

                                                Anthony in particular: do you think changing that order would cause any issues?

                                                Thanks,

                                                Steve.

                                              • Anthony Briggs

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Feb 19, 2013
                                                    Cheers Anthony I will edit the scripts and see what happens :-)

                                                    --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Briggs <anthony.briggs@...> wrote:

                                                    > It's been ages since I looked at the code, but I can't think of a reason
                                                    > off the top of my head. Give it a try and see - if you run into problems I
                                                    > can dig it up and see what's going on.
                                                    >
                                                    > Cheers,
                                                    >
                                                    > Anthony
                                                    >

                                                    > On 18 February 2013 23:22, Stephen Baillie <stephen.baillie@...>wrote:
                                                    >
                                                    > > **
                                                    > >

                                                    > > On 26 January 2013 02:23, wolfiegoth <monsieurmarc@...> wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > >> **
                                                    > >> Hi found an interesting bug running Havilah.
                                                    > >>
                                                    > >> Mithril battleaxes are disabled in the game however a player tried to
                                                    > >> make them and its caused a segmentation fault. Thought it would be worth
                                                    > >> mentioning.
                                                    > >>
                                                    > > With Marc's assistance I managed to track this down. It appears to be a
                                                    > > long-standing bug that most platforms seem to ignore, and only showed up
                                                    > > intermittently even on the RaspberyyPi.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > There is now a fix for this available in the github repository.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > On a related matter though, Marc is using Thera, and I noticed while
                                                    > > tracking down the bug that Thera processes the times and rumours before the
                                                    > > turn runs - which means that the automatically generated times articles
                                                    > > that Havilah produces will always be missed by it. A cursory look at the
                                                    > > code seems to indicate that it'd be fairly simple to swap the order around,
                                                    > > but I thought I'd ask whether anyone more familiar with Thera than I could
                                                    > > comment on whether this would cause problems with the way Thera works.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Anthony in particular: do you think changing that order would cause any
                                                    > > issues?
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Thanks,
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Steve.

                                                  • wolfiegoth
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Feb 25, 2013
                                                      Making the changes dont seem to of caused any issues.... yet :-)

                                                      --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, "wolfiegoth" <monsieurmarc@...> wrote:

                                                      > Cheers Anthony I will edit the scripts and see what happens :-)
                                                      >
                                                      > --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Briggs <anthony.briggs@> wrote:
                                                      > >
                                                      > > It's been ages since I looked at the code, but I can't think of a reason
                                                      > > off the top of my head. Give it a try and see - if you run into problems I
                                                      > > can dig it up and see what's going on.
                                                      > >
                                                      > > Cheers,
                                                      > >
                                                      > > Anthony
                                                      > >

                                                      > > On 18 February 2013 23:22, Stephen Baillie <stephen.baillie@>wrote:
                                                      > >
                                                      > > > **

                                                      > > > With Marc's assistance I managed to track this down. It appears to be a
                                                      > > > long-standing bug that most platforms seem to ignore, and only showed up
                                                      > > > intermittently even on the RaspberyyPi.
                                                      > > >
                                                      > > > There is now a fix for this available in the github repository.
                                                      > > >
                                                      > > > On a related matter though, Marc is using Thera, and I noticed while
                                                      > > > tracking down the bug that Thera processes the times and rumours before the
                                                      > > > turn runs - which means that the automatically generated times articles
                                                      > > > that Havilah produces will always be missed by it. A cursory look at the
                                                      > > > code seems to indicate that it'd be fairly simple to swap the order around,
                                                      > > > but I thought I'd ask whether anyone more familiar with Thera than I could
                                                      > > > comment on whether this would cause problems with the way Thera works.
                                                      > > >
                                                      > > > Anthony in particular: do you think changing that order would cause any
                                                      > > > issues?
                                                      > > >
                                                      > > > Thanks,
                                                      > > >
                                                      > > > Steve.

                                                    • Stephen Baillie
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Feb 25, 2013

                                                        Making the changes dont seem to of caused any issues.... yet :-)

                                                        And an automatically generated article did make it to the Times sent out.