Fishing Skill

  • aqwinsor
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 12 7:57 AM
      I haven't seen much fishing in games, has anyone?

      I'm thinking of eliminating the skill, and have SAILing be used instead.

      Thoughts?
    • James Tolley
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 12 8:09 AM

        The Landlords variant (www.magicdeep.com) has replaced Sailing and Fishing with Seacraft which does exactly what you’re suggesting. (It’s also replaced Hunting and Herb Lore with Forestry)

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 12 9:24 AM
          Hi,
          In our game, fishing is used very often. I would go so far to say, that
          nobody can eat silver. to use silver in land regions is easy to explain,
          the unit can buy food from peasants.
          But who will sell you food on the ocean?
          In this case, fishing would be very important to survive.
          My suggestion: keep fishing and don't allow units to eat silver on
          the ocean.
          Best Reagards: Gabi
        • Jorge Garciasevilla López
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 12 9:37 AM
             Yes, this would make the fishing skill more useful and more realistic, you have to have food on ships to be able to survive, so you either fish or head for land every so often to gather supplies.

          • jtolley@ginger-wizard.co.uk
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 12 10:00 AM
              I'd be interested in seeing a game where most hexes had a food market and silver couldn't be used directly for maintenance.

              Armies could only consume food items and food would automatically be purchased if there was a shortfall.

              You'd have to drastically increase available production but it would provide an interesting cap on how big an army you could support without wagonloads of food.

              J.
              Sent using BlackBerry

              From: Jorge Garciasevilla López <jorge@...>
              Sender: atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 11:37:23 -0500
              To: <atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com>
              ReplyTo: atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: Re: [atlantisdev] Fishing Skill

               Yes, this would make the fishing skill more useful and more realistic, you have to have food on ships to be able to survive, so you either fish or head for land every so often to gather supplies.

              On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Gabi Broetzmann <gczerniak@...> wrote:

              Hi,
              In our game, fishing is used very often. I would go so far to say, that
              nobody can eat silver. to use silver in land regions is easy to explain,
              the unit can buy food from peasants.
              But who will sell you food on the ocean?
              In this case, fishing would be very important to survive.
              My suggestion: keep fishing and don't allow units to eat silver on
              the ocean.
              Best Reagards: Gabi

            • stabliser
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 12 12:53 PM
                Well I think this is a question for each GM to decide for themself and would be much easier to allow GMs to pick and choose if the gamedata was out of the code (pet rant :) )

                In most games of atlantis that allow eating silver I doubt fishing gets used unless the units on the ship run out of silver and have to fish until rescued, but since they are out of silver they cant study fishing - Awwww...

                --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, "aqwinsor" <aqwinsor@...> wrote:

                > I haven't seen much fishing in games, has anyone?
                >
                > I'm thinking of eliminating the skill, and have SAILing be used instead.
                >

                > Thoughts?

              • mshariy
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 12 7:49 PM
                  So perhaps in the sea there are friendly mermen who sell food for the silver, what is the big deal?

                  There is already way too much micromanagement in Atlantis, I could not stay spending hours per turn doing routine stuff like distributing money/goods between hexes.
                  And training fishermen to provide food support on the water? Effectively it just reduces boats capacity and adds a bit of headache.

                  Cheers,
                  Max

                  --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, "Gabi Broetzmann" <gczerniak@...> wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  > In our game, fishing is used very often. I would go so far to say, that
                  > nobody can eat silver. to use silver in land regions is easy to explain,
                  > the unit can buy food from peasants.
                  > But who will sell you food on the ocean?
                  > In this case, fishing would be very important to survive.
                  > My suggestion: keep fishing and don't allow units to eat silver on
                  > the ocean.
                  > Best Reagards: Gabi

                • Stephen Baillie
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 3, 2012

                    I'd be interested in seeing a game where most hexes had a food market and silver couldn't be used directly for maintenance.

                    That goal was actually why I put in the minimum food requirements, and the create food spell.  I'm concerned that it'd need a bunch more balancing to make it workable (and would certainly shift the balance of power toward trade factions, which could be good as they tend to be less powerful at the moment than the other types).  Maybe when this test game is finished I'll run something more experimental.

                    It'd probably also need silver production to be toned down, since it wouldn't be needed as much for maintenance any more.

                    Steve.