Re: [atlantisdev] Bots

  • Stephen Baillie
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 1, 2012
      > Both of those bots are quite simple anyway.  Writing a full bot is a
      > non-trivial task!

      I have toyed with the idea of writing a more comprehensive bot, but I
      keep coming to the conclusion that what a bot really needs is an XML
      report format to save all the hassle of turn parsing.

      And then I get intimidated by the prospect of adding XML turn reports.

      But the idea is there :-)

      Steve.
    • Anthony Briggs
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 1, 2012
        What about something like YAML or JSON instead? Much easier to get rolling with those...

        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 1, 2012
          What about something like YAML or JSON instead? Much easier to get rolling with those...

          Those could work too.  I don't think there's that much difference in usability between XML, YAML and JSON, and there have been requests for XML reports in the past, so I figured that seemed like the most popular format.

          But some form of machine readable output format would be a great place to start a bot.

          Steve.

        • Enno Rehling

            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 4, 2012

              XML is a royal pain, and much harder to parse correctly than json. There is a reason almost everything on the web is done with json services nowadays.

              What a very odd claim...

              The two are functionally equivalent formats (see the various translators available, none of which have any need to be complex).  The reason JSON is common on the web is because it's the native format for Javascript, not any essential difference from YAML or XML.

              All of which is completely beside the point that the hardest part of writing a good bot is extracting machine usable data from Atlantis reports, and especially being able to do so in a way that survives changes to the Atlantis engine.  If you feel like modifying the Atlantis source to produce JSON reports, I would be delighted (if I happen to prefer XML then the conversion is trivial, after all).

              Steve.

            • Anthony Briggs
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 5, 2012
                On 5 April 2012 16:45, Stephen Baillie <stephen.baillie@...> wrote:

                XML is a royal pain, and much harder to parse correctly than json. There is a reason almost everything on the web is done with json services nowadays.

                What a very odd claim...

                The two are functionally equivalent formats (see the various translators available, none of which have any need to be complex).  The reason JSON is common on the web is because it's the native format for Javascript, not any essential difference from YAML or XML.

                JSON is essentially an eval in languages like Ruby and Python, whereas XML has all sorts of weird namespace and XSLT type stuff if you're going to do it properly.

                All of which is completely beside the point that the hardest part of writing a good bot is extracting machine usable data from Atlantis reports, and especially being able to do so in a way that survives changes to the Atlantis engine.  If you feel like modifying the Atlantis source to produce JSON reports, I would be delighted (if I happen to prefer XML then the conversion is trivial, after all).

                It's not that hard - I did it (by parsing the report output) when I wrote Genghis. I even broke it out into a more-or-less independent library too. Much easier than parsing XML ;)

                Anthony

              • Stephen Baillie
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 5, 2012
                  It's not that hard - I did it (by parsing the report output) when I wrote Genghis. I even broke it out into a more-or-less independent library too. Much easier than parsing XML ;)

                  I shall have to have a look at your Genghis parser :-)

                  Steve.