Balrog and dragon balancing

  • Stephen Baillie
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9, 2012
      Ok; so at the moment balrogs have a 1/4*(skill^4) chance of escaping
      twice a turn. Demons have 1/20*(skill^4), and imps have
      1/16*(skill^2).

      This comes out to:

      Balrogs: 1/4 1/64 1/324 1/1024 1/2500
      Demons: 1/20 1/320 1/1620 1/5120 1/10000
      Imps: 1/16 1/64 1/144 1/256 1/400

      Although the skill descriptions are worded confusingly, these values
      are then multiplied by the number of demons of that type - so demon
      and imp escape chances do not increase rapidly as the number of demons
      or imps increase; rather they increase linearly, but the chance of
      escape also decreases quadratically or quartically as skill increases.

      This is complicated by the fact that if a single imp escapes, it will
      release all the other types of demons, including Balrogs. Thus Balrog
      mages should not keep imps around!

      Anyway, this leaves the average time between balrog escapes, even for
      a faction with multiple balrog mages, longer than the expected length
      of most games. This is silly. Balrogs are more powerful per unit
      skill required than dragons (although not that much - the main
      difference is that balrogs have a breath weapon 6 times better than
      dragons, when their other stats are only 4 times better), and easier
      to get, but this should be balanced by their chance to escape and
      wreak havoc. However, the escape chances at the moment are far too
      low at high levels (and probably too high at low levels). Couple that
      with dragons having a 4*(skill^2)/100 chance of being summoned, which
      makes them even less viable at low skill levels, and something needs
      balancing.

      I'm leaning towards removing all the quad and quartic math from all
      the chances I've mentioned, and making them all linear - so dragons
      would have a 20% * skill level chance to summon, and a level 5 SUBA
      mage would have 1/5 the chance of a balrog escaping of a SUBA 1 mage.
      The only thing I'm not sure about here is what the coefficients should
      be, and I'd appreciate your feelings as to how often balrogs should
      escape.

      At the moment I'm leaning towards something in the range of 20-40 (so
      a SUBA 1 mage would have a 1/20 - 1/40 chance of a balrog escaping,
      while a SUBA 5 would have 1/100 - 1/200).

      Thoughts?

      Steve.

      PS this behaviour would, of course, have to be turned on by a game def.