Re: movement / map concepts in pbem games

  • alex_dribin
    Message 1 of 64 , Jun 1, 2011
      --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, "iyhael" <iyhael@...> wrote:

      > What kind of simultanous movement concepts do You know?

      1. In Eldritch every turn units were given some number of AP that they could spend on movement. They then consequently moved locations one-by-one and each movement to intermediate location could reveal that this location is being protected, so unit had to fight or retreat.

      2. Overlord engine uses concept of "exits" connecting locations. When unit starts movement it is placed into correspondent exit and stays there until movement is completed. While unit is inside the exit it can be observed by units at location but can't be interacted (attack, item exchange). Units inside the same exit may be allowed to interact.

      Alex
    • Rick C
      Message 64 of 64 , Aug 4, 2011
        > > At the time, I suggested making caravanserai work like warehouses in
        > > Empire, because I knew that what was implemented was not going to help
        > > reduce MM at all (and thus IMNSHO worthless.)
        >
        > There are lots of games with "Empire" in their names. Which one are
        > you referring to? Or, perhaps more directly useful, how did warehouses
        > work there that made them so helpful?

        The original Empire. Warehouses automatically distribute, to the limit of their capacity to distribute.

        http://www.wolfpackempire.com/infopages/distribute.html

        http://www.wolfpackempire.com/infopages/threshold.html

        Essentially you set up, once per hex, production and distribution thresholds, and hexes automatically attempt to import and export goods to maintain the specified thresholds. Once it's been set up, you don't worry about it again barring having your routes interrupted by enemies. It wipes out a lot of MM.