Re: Hi there...

  • nosferatu_fark
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 6, 2010
      --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, "iyhael" <iyhael@...> wrote:
      > p.s.: I am always interested in new ruleset ideas and have
      > digged around the net for quite a while for interesting concepts.
      > If You dont mind sharing Your concept, drop me a line at wuscheln
      > at googlemail dot com.

      Wow, I would really have to dig deep to find all of my old stuff. I don't even know if I have it anymore. I do remember, though, that one of my ideas was that of cultural-based conquest...you could convert other player's territory by spreading your own cultural and political influence. This was back around 1988-89.

      Of course, anyone who has played Civilization knows that the same idea has been utilized in that series since it came out in 1993. My implementation would have been slightly different, but the results would have been the same. Kind of makes me wonder what would have happened if, back in the day, I would have chosen the path of game design as a career. :)
    • nosferatu_fark
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 6, 2010
        --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, Arno Saxena <al-s@...> wrote:
        > Oi! what do you mean with "nostalgia gaming" ;)

        LOL...I remember when the Atari 2600 was cutting edge and I couldn't get enough of it. Sometimes I still shake my head in wonder when looking at the graphics and complexity of newer games.

        > The Atlantis Source has been available without any interruptions.

        I never looked into it before, actually. I just happened to recently visit the pbm.com web site to see if it even existed anymore. I was really surprised by what I found!

        > <rantmode>
        > And btw, I relay don't like the idea of an "industrial size"
        > Atlantis server with uncountable games running. Call me old
        > fashioned, but I think a Atlantis host should be available
        > for his players, at least every once in a while

        I see your point, though I admit I've forgotten what it's like to receive any sort of personal service in an online game. Modern MOGs, with their rapid response, seem to have taken over. There are pros and cons to each approach, I guess.

        > If a Atlantis-Supermarket would be introduced, the debugging
        > and developing would be meaningless to all the other hosts,
        > since they wouldn't run any games (since the players are playing in > the supermarket) and would not be interested in fiddling with the
        > code...
        > </rantmode>

        Ah...you know, if I were less cautious I'd be willing to bet good money that you're exactly the kind of person who prefers Linux (or just Unix) over Windows. :)

        I doubt we'll see any supermarkets, but it would be nice to see a growth in homegrown, text-based PBEM games. Supermarkets require a large market. Compared to the "supermarket MMO games," I think that text-based PBEMs will forever remain the small-town general stores in the far corners of the internet. Once upon a time, they may have seemed like big outposts in the internet frontier. But nowadays...well, now we're back to the nostalgia thing. :)
      • iyhael
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 7, 2010
          Well,

          I hope You did not store in on 5 1/4" diskettes ;-)

          I was just curious what You cooked up. Do not make a hassle to get some stone age data back..

          --Piotr

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 7, 2010
            I need to amend my last post... I got the timelines screwed up and anyone who knows better will think I'm talking out of my rear. I actually STARTED programming in the late eighties, making mostly simple text adventures and some very basic RPG's with BASIC (line numbers...I don't miss 'em at all!)

            However, I discovered PBM gaming before I even knew PBEM gaming existed, and DID manage to independently develop the cultural dominance theory about the same time as Civilization came out...not a few years earlier. (I didn't start playing the series until Civ 3.)

            So there...now no one can give me a hard time.... :)

            But regarding the old ideas... even my best ideas have been implemented by others already. My approach to them was usually pretty complicated, since I planned them all around weekly turns. But it all amounts to the same thing.

            --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, "iyhael" <iyhael@...> wrote:

            > Well,
            >
            > I hope You did not store in on 5 1/4" diskettes ;-)
            >
            > I was just curious what You cooked up. Do not make a hassle to get some stone age data back..
            >
            > --Piotr

          • Anthony Briggs
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 14, 2010
              Chris Babcock wrote:
              > One of the things I am anxious to do, however, is put together a team
              > to run a fast, hard hitting game with a rule set that favors rapid
              > deployment and that quickly destabilizes to a victory condition unless
              > the players are very evenly matched. Speed, of course, is relative,
              > but the main idea is to introduce new players to a fast-paced,
              > exciting game and provide the iterations needed with an entry-level
              > game to promote mastery. Players can then move on to games for
              > experienced players on the same server or on another.

              <delurk>

              Sounds like Fracas (an Atlantis variant) - that was pretty much my goal.
              Instead of one leader, you started with a small army and some level-3
              skilled guys. I also trimmed a lot of "crap" - eskimos/tundra, at least
              half the trade items, and I'm sure a whole bunch of other stuff which
              I've forgotten. I also tend to run really small maps compared to other
              GMs (about 20 land regions per faction), which limits the game length
              and makes players fight over territory.

              Take a look if you like - it's in the repository I think. I'll try to
              answer questions if I can, but it's been a while since I last looked at
              the code...

              Anthony