Eressea: Open Source

  • Enno Rehling
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 7 5:01 PM
      Hello Atlanteans!

      I hope somebody will find this useful.

      Spurred on by the release of Olympia, I have decided that I did not want
      the source for Eressea to be secret and inaccessible forever, or release
      only after I have lost interest in it, but rather release it while I'm
      still around for anyone interested to bombard me with questions.

      Eressea was originally based on Atlantis 1.0. It has been in development
      for 13 years, and has been tested in over a dozen different worlds with
      varying rule-sets, for anything from a quick 50-turn weekend game to the
      original game which is now in turn 660.

      Source for this project can be found at http://gitorious.org/eressea

      While this is the same source that I'm running my two current games
      from, it does not currently include any of the spells or monsters in
      those. I'm planning on adding a few generic ones in there as examples,
      without giving away too much about the strength of dragons or the exact
      details of the rust spell, etc.

      Hail Atlantis!
      Enno.

      --
      Eressea Homepage: http://www.eressea.de/
    • Arno Saxena
      • Andrey Repin
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 8 1:22 PM
          Greetings, Arno Saxena!

          AS> but what's the advantage of lua? (it is the tecgraf lua language isn't it?)

          If you ask me, the only advantage of Lua, is that it's easy to learn.
          Everything else is disadvantages. If you have choice - avoid it like plague.
          No strict syntax (only procedural parsing of source code is possible), braindead
          typization, everything defaults to global scope (so-called global polluting),
          slow addressing of global scope, thus you have to localize (reassign) about
          every function and structure you're using in single script...

          --
          WBR,
          Andrey Repin (hell-for-yahoo@...) 09.03.2010, <0:15>
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 8 1:49 PM
            > but what's the advantage of lua? (it is the tecgraf lua language isn't it?)

            Not everything is easy to declare in XML. And for things that are
            game-dependent, it is nice to be able to change the game rules without
            having to change the C code. Granted, most of the things I've done
            that is game-specific is not currently in the public repository
            (because it's too much a part of the Eressea world that I don't want
            to show to al players at this point), but one example is how spells
            are declared. The spells to create items are very simle, they're in
            http://gitorious.org/eressea/server/blobs/master/scripts/spells.lua

            But anything can go in there: Specialized monster AI is in there. My
            world creation is in there (write a routine that makes "nice" islands
            and call it from the editor, for example). I have put a lot of
            integration testing in there, where I quickly construct a situation,
            run a turn and check that the result is what I expect.
            http://gitorious.org/eressea/server/blobs/master/scripts/tests/common.lua
            has tests for non-game-specific stuff, and I have a bunch more that
            test the world-specific stuff.

            Finally, if you run qith -C, you get a console and you can interact
            with the game. just read_game() to load your datafile, then do some
            things like for each faction, give the first unit 1000 silver, and
            write the game again. Instant Christmas.

            Enno.
          • iyhael
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 26 11:57 AM
              My jaws have dropped.

              Quite unbelievable when one might think that many people, once upon a time, considered the Eressea code to be a sacred source, which either would be tasted in the form of a player or only remembered in forms of fantasy and memories.

              And now not only Eressea, but also Olympia has gone open source. Adding to that the ongoing re-write of Overlord and the (now stopped) programming of Menouthis, one might think that the golden Age of Atlantis has come.

              Sadly, it is not the case, for it seems to me the comminity is either dead or frozen at such low temperatures that it does not even appreciate its latest great presents. What potential for great games!

              Thanks for releasing the code, Enno! After all, that was years of developing, bug-fixing and optimizing.

              Cheers,

              Piotr

              p.s.: Or am I wrong, and there is top secret pbem game development going on in the shadows of long forgotten newsgroups?
            • Enno Rehling
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 27 8:21 PM
                Hi Piotr,

                thanks for the compliments :-) You are right, many years of debugging,
                optimizing and development went into this game, but I decided that that
                is not a good reason to keep it to myself. I've already had my fun with
                it, and that will not be less if someone else gets a go!

                Eressea has taught me many things, it's given me a lot of routine in C
                programming, I learned a lot about how to relate with customers, I met a
                number of really cool people through it. All that experience probably
                helped me getting my first job in the games industry after college.

                The coolest thing that could happen from here on would be if some people
                set out to make a better game. I'm not going to do that myself, but
                maybe a web-based game, maybe very much simplified? Or a complete
                re-balancing, a new skill system, or a more Olympia-like game? You can
                be bold!

                I hope to see that,
                Enno.

                On 3/26/2010 11:57 AM, iyhael wrote:
                > My jaws have dropped.
                >
                > Quite unbelievable when one might think that many people, once upon a
                > time, considered the Eressea code to be a sacred source, which either
                > would be tasted in the form of a player or only remembered in forms
                > of fantasy and memories.
                >
                > And now not only Eressea, but also Olympia has gone open source.
                > Adding to that the ongoing re-write of Overlord and the (now stopped)
                > programming of Menouthis, one might think that the golden Age of
                > Atlantis has come.
                >
                > Sadly, it is not the case, for it seems to me the comminity is either
                > dead or frozen at such low temperatures that it does not even
                > appreciate its latest great presents. What potential for great
                > games!
                >
                > Thanks for releasing the code, Enno! After all, that was years of
                > developing, bug-fixing and optimizing.
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > Piotr
                >

                > p.s.: Or am I wrong, and there is top secret pbem game development
                > going on in the shadows of long forgotten newsgroups?
              • Tom
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 20, 2012
                  Sorry for digging up an old post but just wondering if anyone has tried the eressea code? are there still games running?

                  bye,

                  Tom

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 21, 2012
                    Hi Tom,

                    I'm not aware that anyone has started a game yet, but there's at least one person trying to get one set up (Hello Gabi). I've thought about this a while, and I believe there are two or three problems that prevent it (apart from waning interest in this style of game):
                    1. Even with the source, a lot of technical knowledge is required to get a game up and running. Not everyone is fluent in C.
                    2. The game isn't complete. What I published is the basis for a game, without customizations, and there are some essential bits of Eressea that fall under the label of customization - the spells and monsters, for example.
                    3. Eressea is designed to be an open-ended game, and that lends itself poorly to a game you play with half a dozen friends over a weekend.
                    I've recently started dog-fooding, meaning I'm using the open source version of the code to build another version of Eressea. There's a group of five of us who are trying to make a "short" version of the game, that is not meant to be open-ended and is suitable for smaller numbers of players. It's early days, we're all strapped for time, live in two wildly different time zones, and have only one C programmer, so this may take time.

                    Since I wrote that original email, the primary repository for the source has moved to github. It's now on https://github.com/eressea/server for the basic server. If you're interested in running a game or doing something with the code, I'm always happy to talk about it. Also, I expect that based on some of the debates we are having about our new game, I'll cross-post some of the discussion to this list to get a broader base of opinions on game design.

                    Enno.

                    On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 5:03 AM, Tom <tom.droeshout@...> wrote:
                    Sorry for digging up an old post but just wondering if anyone has tried the eressea code? are there still games running?

                    bye,

                    Tom

                    --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, Enno Rehling <enno.rehling@...> wrote:

                    > Hello Atlanteans!
                    >
                    > I hope somebody will find this useful.
                    >
                    > Spurred on by the release of Olympia, I have decided that I did not want
                    > the source for Eressea to be secret and inaccessible forever, or release
                    > only after I have lost interest in it, but rather release it while I'm
                    > still around for anyone interested to bombard me with questions.
                    >
                    > Eressea was originally based on Atlantis 1.0. It has been in development
                    > for 13 years, and has been tested in over a dozen different worlds with
                    > varying rule-sets, for anything from a quick 50-turn weekend game to the
                    > original game which is now in turn 660.
                    >
                    > Source for this project can be found at http://gitorious.org/eressea
                    >
                    > While this is the same source that I'm running my two current games
                    > from, it does not currently include any of the spells or monsters in
                    > those. I'm planning on adding a few generic ones in there as examples,
                    > without giving away too much about the strength of dragons or the exact
                    > details of the rust spell, etc.
                    >
                    > Hail Atlantis!
                    > Enno.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Eressea Homepage: http://www.eressea.de/

                    <*> Your email settings:
                       Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                       (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                       atlantisdev-digest@yahoogroups.com
                       atlantisdev-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                       http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Enno Rehling
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 28, 2012
                      It looks like the address eldericewyrm@... has been disabled by Yahoo. The owner sent me an email about Eressea this week, and I'm trying to get in touch, and I know he used to read this list:

                      On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 9:22 PM, eldericewyrm <eldericewyrm@...> wrote:
                      Hello Enno,

                      [...] You use Hit point in Eressea, but in Atlantis, there was no HitPoints, only one life (except for some great monsters). The kill is lethal or not. There is no wounded creature like in Eressea.
                      But do you store really for each men in an unit the hit point.
                      For example, if there is 10 000 men, you store 10 000 values for the hit points ??

                      I don't save the hitpoints for every unit. there are currently 12 million men in units controlled by players, if I stored hit points for each of them, that would be a lot of memory (on the order of 12 MB). Eressea stores the hitpoints for a unit (sum of the hitpoints for all men in the unit) in an integer per unit. There are approximately 200K units in the current game, so the total cost of this is 800 KB, and the difference doesn't matter in the bigger picture.

                      Before a battle, I split each unit into individual men, and each one has a separate hitpoint counter, but because battles seldom have more than 100K fighters in them, that's also tolerable. The whole world does not fight at the same time. At the end of the battle, I add up all the hitpoints for the survivors in each unit again.

                      If you'd like to take a look at the code, it's now on github: https://github.com/eressea/server - after 13 years of patching it up, it's not super pretty or consisten, but there it is.

                      Enno.

                    • Enno Rehling
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 3, 2014
                        Hail Atlantis!

                        Over the holidays, I finally got around to making all of my game
                        Eressea publicly available. Up until then, only a reduced version of
                        the game was on github, because I wanted to keep certain stats of
                        monsters and spells confidential. Since the two running games are so
                        far advanced that none of these things are great secrets any longer, I
                        felt it was time to also release the rest of the game.

                        The source code is on github, in https://github.com/eressea/server

                        A little history about Eressea for those who wonder why the code looks
                        so different from A5: This code was forked from German Atlantis (GA),
                        which itself was a fork of either Atlantis 1.0 or 2.0 (I can't be
                        sure, since most of that code has been replaced). In a way, it's a
                        distant cousin to Atlantis 5, who grew up with parents that didn't
                        believe in that new-fangled C++ religion.

                        There have been several games based on versions of this code, some
                        lasting only an extended weekend, but the longest (the second age, or
                        E2) currently in turn 858, after 17+ of your earth years. Another
                        long-running game, the third age (E3) is in week 237.

                        There has been a little bit of interest from people forking the game
                        in the past, and I know of one game that got off the ground despite
                        the sparse documentation (but because Gabi badgered me until I
                        explained things). Feel free to do the same if you like.

                        You are welcome,
                        Enno.
                        --
                        If you want to make a donation to the ongoing devleopment and hosting
                        of this game, flattr me at https://flattr.com/thing/681354/Eressea