Re: [atlantisdev] Queuing of movement

  • Loriaki
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2, 2008
      On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 02:08:13AM +0200, Arno Saxena wrote:
      > Stephen Baillie wrote:
      > >> if a unit wants to move from one region to another,
      > >> it has to use its movement points. There are
      > >> Regions, which cost more than 1 movementpoint (ie forests
      > >> costs 2). Then there might weather phenomenas, which make
      > >> movement even more difficult ( i.E. Winter which doubles
      > >> the movementcosts). The engine now tells Command gets
      > >> queued ... but only the order for the template is
      > >> being stored. No Partial movement is done.
      > >>
      > >> Is it meant to be this way ?
      > >> Or should there be partial moves
      > >> ( -> incrementing the movepoints already moved and
      > >> store it with the unit in the gamefile) ?
      > >
      > > The way it used to work was that if you put in orders to, say MOVE NE
      > > NE NE NE NE NE, and in one turn only managed to do two of those moves,
      > > then the next turn that unit would have MOVE NE NE NE NE in its
      > > template.

      I did not meant that ..

      > > If it's not doing this any more, then something has been broken.
      > >
      > > Steve.
      > >
      > I think what Loria meant was a feature where movement points accumulate
      > over multiple turns. So a unit on foot could enter a forest hex at bad
      > weather after two month. Right now if a unit tries to enter a hex and
      > don't has enough movement points to do so, the movement points are lost
      > with the unit in the same situation the next turn with bad weather. Even
      > if the movement orders are stored.

      This is what I was trying to tell ..

      > To accumulate the movement points is actually a good idea, but that
      > would ask for a redesign of the writing and parsing of the game.in and
      > .out files, since this information has to be passed from turn to turn.

      Yes there need to be checks, the direction should not be changed while
      moving thrue turns.

      So It seems to me, this is no Bug, just a non exiting feature.
      I will add it to the Feature requests :-)

      Loria

      > Arno

    • beigtais
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3, 2008
        Good idea accumulating movement over multiple turns. But what
        happens if I let's say try to enter forest in winter, cannot go,
        accumulate points, then winter ends and I change direction, and go
        over plains like on WING :)
        Just a thought...

        Beigtais

        --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, Arno Saxena <al-s@...> wrote:

        > Stephen Baillie wrote:
        > >> if a unit wants to move from one region to another,
        > >> it has to use its movement points. There are
        > >> Regions, which cost more than 1 movementpoint (ie forests
        > >> costs 2). Then there might weather phenomenas, which make
        > >> movement even more difficult ( i.E. Winter which doubles
        > >> the movementcosts). The engine now tells Command gets
        > >> queued ... but only the order for the template is
        > >> being stored. No Partial movement is done.
        > >>
        > >> Is it meant to be this way ?
        > >> Or should there be partial moves
        > >> ( -> incrementing the movepoints already moved and
        > >> store it with the unit in the gamefile) ?
        > >
        > > The way it used to work was that if you put in orders to, say MOVE NE
        > > NE NE NE NE NE, and in one turn only managed to do two of those moves,
        > > then the next turn that unit would have MOVE NE NE NE NE in its
        > > template.
        > >
        > > If it's not doing this any more, then something has been broken.
        > >
        > > Steve.
        > >
        > I think what Loria meant was a feature where movement points accumulate
        > over multiple turns. So a unit on foot could enter a forest hex at bad
        > weather after two month. Right now if a unit tries to enter a hex and
        > don't has enough movement points to do so, the movement points are lost
        > with the unit in the same situation the next turn with bad weather.
        Even
        > if the movement orders are stored.
        >
        > To accumulate the movement points is actually a good idea, but that
        > would ask for a redesign of the writing and parsing of the game.in and
        > .out files, since this information has to be passed from turn to turn.
        >
        > Arno

      • Loriaki
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3, 2008
          On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 08:35:15AM -0000, beigtais wrote:
          > Good idea accumulating movement over multiple turns. But what
          > happens if I let's say try to enter forest in winter, cannot go,
          > accumulate points, then winter ends and I change direction, and go
          > over plains like on WING :)
          > Just a thought...

          I thought about that ... as I stated with my other post, you should
          stick with direction ... otherwise loose the accumaulated movement.
          (you would at least move a bit into the oposite direction ;)

          Loria
        • Arno Saxena
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3, 2008
            beigtais wrote:
            > Good idea accumulating movement over multiple turns. But what
            > happens if I let's say try to enter forest in winter, cannot go,
            > accumulate points, then winter ends and I change direction, and go
            > over plains like on WING :)
            > Just a thought...
            >
            > Beigtais

            this would ask for even more checks :D

            maybe accumulating should only be carried out if the unit had not moved
            this turn. Thus this would only allow units not able to move at all move
            at least one hex every few turns. Faster units are just slowed down ...
            on the other hand, this would ask for a check if the unit has moved, so

            also what if a unit has accumulated enough movement points to enter a
            province a given turn, should it then be able to join the muster if a
            fight occures in this province this turn?

            Arno
          • anrdaemon
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 6, 2008
              --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, Loriaki <atlantisdev@...> wrote:
              >>> If it's not doing this any more, then something has been broken.
              >>>
              >>> Steve.
              >>>
              >> I think what Loria meant was a feature where movement points
              accumulate
              >> over multiple turns. So a unit on foot could enter a forest hex at
              bad
              >> weather after two month. Right now if a unit tries to enter a hex
              and
              >> don't has enough movement points to do so, the movement points are
              lost
              >> with the unit in the same situation the next turn with bad
              weather. Even
              >> if the movement orders are stored.
              >
              > This is what I was trying to tell ..
              >

              >> To accumulate the movement points is actually a good idea, but
              that
              >> would ask for a redesign of the writing and parsing of the game.in
              and
              >> .out files, since this information has to be passed from turn to
              turn.

              > Yes there need to be checks, the direction should not be changed
              while
              > moving thrue turns.
              >
              > So It seems to me, this is no Bug, just a non exiting feature.
              > I will add it to the Feature requests :-)

              That would impose millions of problems in turn handling.
              Say, you're trying to "MOVE N N" by legs to forest in the last month
              of winter.
              You aren't moving and accumulating 2 points.
              Next month you renting a horse from someone and moving in the same
              direction... in the summer.
              Now you see the level of problems? It's just uneeded complication.