Re: Atlantis/Arcadia question

  • iyhael
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 3, 2008
      > But has anyone managed to compile arcadia yet? It looks like it
      needs to
      > have some manual setup. I've copied the files out to the main
      directory,
      > which seems to help, but the compiler is still complaining about
      > EXCLUSIVE and IT_SHIELD. I suspect that this is because those items

      Hello Anthony,

      I do not know which version of Arcadia You have and where You have
      obtained it from, but given some time, I could get access to the
      latest source and send it to You. Alternatively, if You want to have
      a faster code deliver, You might want to contact Jan Retniema, to who
      I have send the latest version of the code. Also, the coder, Bradley
      (he is listed here by the alias starstrike) could supply You the
      lasted code.

      > Does anyone know exactly when Arcadia last compiled/was branched? If
      > not, I'll go and dig back through the code.

      The branching occured after the second game: a quite buggy 5.0 code
      was used as a base for Arcadia III Nylandor. Looking at the website
      http://arcadia.harmus.de this was March 2004. The latest Arcadia code
      is a result of constant change and improvement of the arc3 code.

      I hope that helped.

      Piotr
    • iyhael
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 3, 2008
        One more thing:

        Note that many bug reports for Atlantis 5.0 came from the Arcadia
        development and testgames. One can say that beside the (many..)
        specific features of Arcadia, the Atlantis 5.0 has been bugfixed along
        with it. Credit for that should be given to Bradley/starstrike and the
        people who have committed the patches and fixed the bugs.

        As for the latest version of Arcadia, it does require some balancing,
        especially the magic side of the game. Heroes turned out to become to
        strong. Again, I have mentioned all the details about that in an email
        to Jan, maybe I can dig it up again.

        Piotr
      • iyhael
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3, 2008
          And as a last comment:

          The final code (Xanaxor) was tested for allmost 50 turns, and should be
          considered bug free.

          Piotr
        • Valeroth Kyarmentari
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 27, 2008
            Maybe I'm just completely missing the mark... but months later I'm
            still having trouble finding the most recent bug free code from anyone.

            The only code for Atlantis I can find out there I know is years old
            and I'm not sure which bugs has been fixed. Admittedly today I'm
            feeling frustrated about a number of things so this is added on to
            it. But I'd really like to get a version of code that someone has
            used recently to run a game. Perhaps Xanathor or Arno's version.
            However all the "fixed/in use" versions appear rather hard to find.
            It seems almost as though other people... not being able to find fixed
            code grabbed the code and fixed it themselves but none of these fixes
            are available here or on the sourceforge...

            Or am I just cranky today?
          • Anthony Briggs
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 27, 2008
              Valeroth Kyarmentari wrote:

              > Maybe I'm just completely missing the mark... but months later I'm
              > still having trouble finding the most recent bug free code from anyone.
              >
              > The only code for Atlantis I can find out there I know is years old
              > and I'm not sure which bugs has been fixed. Admittedly today I'm
              > feeling frustrated about a number of things so this is added on to
              > it. But I'd really like to get a version of code that someone has
              > used recently to run a game. Perhaps Xanathor or Arno's version.
              > However all the "fixed/in use" versions appear rather hard to find.
              > It seems almost as though other people... not being able to find fixed
              > code grabbed the code and fixed it themselves but none of these fixes
              > are available here or on the sourceforge...
              >
              > Or am I just cranky today?

              No, it's not just you. Once the code moved from JT's server, it basically sat
              idle for 2-3 years. That's why I set up atlantis.sf.net:

              svn co https://atlantis.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/atlantis/trunk atlantis
              or
              svn co
              https://atlantis.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/atlantis/branches/PATCHES_410/
              atlantis

              Note that it doesn't have any of the bugfixes from current or recent games (eg.
              Arnos), despite emailing all of the GMs that I can lay my hands on. I've been
              meaning to trawl back through the Atlantisdev lists and pull in all of the bug
              fixes from Arno, and also do a diff against the arcadia directory looking for
              bugs, but free time is a little hard to come by these days :)

              I'm also happy to hand out commit access to anyone who wants it.

              Anthony
            • Arno Saxena
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 27, 2008
                Sorry mates, I meant to compile a Bugfix-digest and send it to you
                Anthony since you send out your request, but there's allways something
                else to do in RL :D I'll try and do it one of these days :D

                @Valeroth, I'll send you a zip of my actuall code, hope you can make
                anything out of it :)

                Arno
              • iyhael
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 30, 2008
                  > Arnos), despite emailing all of the GMs that I can lay my hands on.

                  Eeek. You are so touchy these days, Anthony. As I told You, once I am
                  back from the end of the world and can lay my hands on the code, You
                  can take Your hands back from me.

                  Piotr