GM tools letting you run a simple game...

  • digital_carnage1
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2007
      Hey Guys / Girls

      I was wondering something i have had a look around but the one tool i
      found doesn't seem to want to work correctly.

      What i wanna know is this, Are there any GM tools out there to help
      running a game easy, I got like 0.1% programming knowladge, basically
      i can figure out what something is doing but editing it takes me a
      week to change something :P

      All i need it to do basically is, I get the orders from the guys
      playing already in a orders.x format so i want to just copy it to a
      folder and run a script that will take the Atlantis.exe and do the
      following:

      -Execute: Atlantis.exe run
      *Basically Run the Turn*
      -Change the Players.out to register every player that took his turn
      and update the LastTurn string for that faction.
      -Rename each order to "Orders Turn XXX.(Faction Number)" based on turn
      and move it into a Player orders folder, and the same with reports
      rename them to "Report Turn XXX.(faction Number)" and move it to
      Reports folder.

      I dont even need it to send the mails etc just do the basic nitty
      gritty of running a turn.
      Hell if there is a GUI so i can take all this and set what i want to
      thats already out there Please let me know, because i cant find
      anything that doesnt need you to know C++ or Python.....

      Thanks
      The UBER N00B - Digi :P
      Oh P.S. if it helps I can Figure out AutoIT rather
      well(www.AutoITScript.com)... so im looking at doing all this with
      that, if i figure it out ill post it up for others to grab :P
    • Anthony Briggs
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2007
        On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 05:42:23AM -0000, digital_carnage1 wrote:
        > Hey Guys / Girls
        >
        > I was wondering something i have had a look around but the one tool i
        > found doesn't seem to want to work correctly.

        Which tool was that? You might have more luck fixing your trouble with the tool than writing your own.

        > What i wanna know is this, Are there any GM tools out there to help
        > running a game easy, I got like 0.1% programming knowladge, basically
        > i can figure out what something is doing but editing it takes me a
        > week to change something :P
        >
        > All i need it to do basically is, I get the orders from the guys
        > playing already in a orders.x format so i want to just copy it to a
        > folder and run a script that will take the Atlantis.exe and do the
        > following:
        >

        > -Execute: Atlantis.exe run
        > *Basically Run the Turn*

        Fairly easy to do.

        > -Change the Players.out to register every player that took his turn
        > and update the LastTurn string for that faction.

        Good luck finding a way to do that without any programming knowledge :) From
        memory, you can configure the game to manage that itself, but that involves a
        recompile. Or you can do it manually.

        > -Rename each order to "Orders Turn XXX.(Faction Number)" based on turn
        > and move it into a Player orders folder, and the same with reports
        > rename them to "Report Turn XXX.(faction Number)" and move it to
        > Reports folder.

        Personally, I find it easier to make a directory named after the turn, and move
        old reports and orders into that. Neater, too.

        > I dont even need it to send the mails etc just do the basic nitty
        > gritty of running a turn.
        > Hell if there is a GUI so i can take all this and set what i want to
        > thats already out there Please let me know, because i cant find
        > anything that doesnt need you to know C++ or Python.....

        Most of the people who run games are technically pretty literate, so I doubt
        they would have spent the extra time to make a pretty gui when the command line
        works perfectly well.

        Anyway, if you decide to bite the bullet and use Python, the runturn.py script
        in Thera basically does what you're after, after you've chopped out a number of
        the bits to do with locking, generating and mailing the times, etc, etc.

        You can get Thera from http://www.sf.net/projects/pybem/ It should run under
        Windows, btw.

        Hope that helps,

        Anthony

        ps. The script in subversion has had a fair bit of rework, and might be easier to understand:
        http://pybem.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pybem/thera/trunk/runturn.py?view=markup
        You may also need to copy in some of the other bits for that though (isMetaOrderLine, getplayerinfo, etc)

        HyPerACtIVe?! HEY, Who ArE yoU cAllInG HYPERaCTive?!
        abriggs@...
      • Pete Christie
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2007
          Hi

          You could try:
          http://gnawer.byte-force.yar.ru/advisor/download/shadows/shadow.zip

          It might work with a standard atlantis.exe

          Pete

          --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Briggs <abriggs@...> wrote:

> [...]
          >
          > Anyway, if you decide to bite the bullet and use Python, the
          runturn.py script
          > in Thera basically does what you're after, after you've chopped out
          a number of
          > the bits to do with locking, generating and mailing the times, etc, etc.
          >
          > You can get Thera from http://www.sf.net/projects/pybem/ It should
          run under
          > Windows, btw.
          >
          > Hope that helps,
          >
          > Anthony
          >
          > ps. The script in subversion has had a fair bit of rework, and might
          be easier to understand:

          http://pybem.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pybem/thera/trunk/runturn.py?view=markup
          > You may also need to copy in some of the other bits for that though
          (isMetaOrderLine, getplayerinfo, etc)

          > --
          > HyPerACtIVe?! HEY, Who ArE yoU cAllInG HYPERaCTive?!

        • digital_carnage1
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 5, 2007
            Hi Pete

            Thanks, this looks exactly like what i was looking for but i cant get
            it to work, it doesnt generate the Players.out in the right places,
            the Help doc in it sez to use a modified Atlantis.exe, Do you possibly
            know where or what the site on the application is down.

            But Again thanks this was Exactly What I was looking for. :P

            The UBER N00B - Digi :P

            --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, "Pete Christie" <lochdochart@...>
            wrote:

> [...]
            > runturn.py script
            > > in Thera basically does what you're after, after you've chopped out
            > a number of
            > > the bits to do with locking, generating and mailing the times,
            etc, etc.

            > > You can get Thera from http://www.sf.net/projects/pybem/ It should
            > run under
            > > Windows, btw.
            > >
            > > Hope that helps,
            > >
            > > Anthony
            > >
            > > ps. The script in subversion has had a fair bit of rework, and might
            > be easier to understand:

            http://pybem.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pybem/thera/trunk/runturn.py?view=markup
            > > You may also need to copy in some of the other bits for that though
            > (isMetaOrderLine, getplayerinfo, etc)
            > >
            > > --
            > > HyPerACtIVe?! HEY, Who ArE yoU cAllInG HYPERaCTive?!

          • Pete Christie
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 5, 2007
              Hi Digi

              Goto:
              http://gnawer.byte-force.yar.ru/advisor/shadows.htm
              there you'll see where the shadowmaster download came from, you might
              also want to download mapper 1.1

              Then goto the binaries files section here at atlantis-dev:
              Download LimboRealms.zip it contains an atlantis.exe that worked with
              Shadowmaster last time I tried.

              Then join the wasteland pbem (plug) :)

              Pete

              --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, "digital_carnage1" <Digi@...> wrote:

              > Hi Pete
              >
              > Thanks, this looks exactly like what i was looking for but i cant get
              > it to work, it doesnt generate the Players.out in the right places,
              > the Help doc in it sez to use a modified Atlantis.exe, Do you possibly
              > know where or what the site on the application is down.
              >
              > But Again thanks this was Exactly What I was looking for. :P
              >
              > The UBER N00B - Digi :P
              >
              > --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, "Pete Christie" <lochdochart@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi
              > >
              > > You could try:
              > > http://gnawer.byte-force.yar.ru/advisor/download/shadows/shadow.zip
              > >
              > > It might work with a standard atlantis.exe
              > >
              > > Pete
              > >
              > > --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Briggs <abriggs@> wrote:

              > tool i
              > > >
              > > > Which tool was that? You might have more luck fixing your trouble
              > > with the tool than writing your own.

              > basically

              > > > Fairly easy to do.

              > > > Good luck finding a way to do that without any programming knowledge
              > > :) From
              > > > memory, you can configure the game to manage that itself, but that
              > > involves a
              > > > recompile. Or you can do it manually.

              > on turn
              > > >
              > > > Personally, I find it easier to make a directory named after the
              > > turn, and move
              > > > old reports and orders into that. Neater, too.

              > > > Most of the people who run games are technically pretty literate, so
              > > I doubt
              > > > they would have spent the extra time to make a pretty gui when the
              > > command line
              > > > works perfectly well.
              > > >
              > > > Anyway, if you decide to bite the bullet and use Python, the
              > > runturn.py script
              > > > in Thera basically does what you're after, after you've chopped out
              > > a number of
              > > > the bits to do with locking, generating and mailing the times,
              > etc, etc.
              > > >
              > > > You can get Thera from http://www.sf.net/projects/pybem/ It should
              > > run under
              > > > Windows, btw.
              > > >
              > > > Hope that helps,
              > > >
              > > > Anthony
              > > >
              > > > ps. The script in subversion has had a fair bit of rework, and might
              > > be easier to understand:

              http://pybem.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pybem/thera/trunk/runturn.py?view=markup
              > > > You may also need to copy in some of the other bits for that though
              > > (isMetaOrderLine, getplayerinfo, etc)
              > > >
              > > > --
              > > > HyPerACtIVe?! HEY, Who ArE yoU cAllInG HYPERaCTive?!
              > > > abriggs@

            • digital_carnage1
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 6, 2007
                Thank you thank you thank you :D PERFECT :P now i just gotta figure
                out why i cant connect to my mail server to automate the whole
                process, lol, cant seem to connect but i have a feeling its
                restrictions on our firewall system, so ill just manually add the data
                to the folders, but atleast the main details i needed to do are done,

                Thanks so much Pete :P this will make my life so much easier :D