Re: [atlantisdev] Re: Hi all

  • Max Shariy
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2007
      On Thursday 29 March 2007 10:49 pm, Giuseppe Luigi Punzi wrote:
      > I have some questions,
      > - Atlantis works like VGA-Planets for example? I do my turn, I get a
      > TRN file, I send this file to the HOST. The HOST put this file on a
      > directory and execute Host app.
      Pretty much so.

      > Or atlantis needs an Atlantis server
      > running 24h?
      No, it is run only to generate turn or preprocess submitted orders.

      > - Can you recommend me some app to make the turns thath ran on Linux
      > and Windows?
      No :) But there must be something in the files section of this group.

      > - How many days are needed to play one turn?
      Typical schedules are 1 or 2 turns per week. Sometimes 3 or even 5. Nothing
      prevents you from running turns every hour :)

      Max
    • Max Shariy
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2007
        On Sunday 01 April 2007 08:03 pm, Max Shariy wrote:

        > > - Atlantis works like VGA-Planets for example? I do my turn, I get a
        > > TRN file, I send this file to the HOST. The HOST put this file on a
        > > directory and execute Host app.
        >
        > > - Can you recommend me some app to make the turns thath ran on Linux
        > > and Windows?
        > No :) But there must be something in the files section of this group.

        Oh, you must be asking about a client app which helps you to write your
        orders, right? Then it will be ALH http://www.geocities.com/pbemah.

        Max
      • Anthony Briggs
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3, 2007
          On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 08:49:38AM +0200, Giuseppe Luigi Punzi wrote:

          > I have some questions,
          > - Atlantis works like VGA-Planets for example? I do my turn, I get a
          > TRN file, I send this file to the HOST. The HOST put this file on a
          > directory and execute Host app. Or atlantis needs an Atlantis server
          > running 24h?

          Atlantis doesn't strictly need a server running 24/7, but it's good to
          know that the server had gotten your turn, and that there aren't any
          major errors in it, so running a

          > - Can you recommend me some app to make the turns thath ran on Linux
          > and Windows?

          Not sure what you mean here. If you're after a client, then Atlantis
          Little Helper is probably the best one. If you're looking for something
          to automate your game, then tradition demands that you write your own
          script in your pet language. For 'off the shelf' stuff, Thera
          (pybem.sf.net) is pretty good, although I wrote it, so I am biased ;) It
          runs under Linux/Unix, but should run under Windows with some tweaking.

          > - How many days are needed to play one turn?

          Depends on the size of your turn. I'd recommend starting with a small
          map, so that your turns can run faster, and also so that you can start
          another game quickly once your players have picked up the basics of the
          game.

          > I need a meeting with my friends this weekend to explain all of this.
          >
          > Yes, I would like to get Atlantis5 to test. I will download the source too.

          I would avoid Atlantis5, and instead go for v4, unless you've got lots
          of time to debug. Version 5 of the code has received a lot of features,
          but not much play or testing.

          Anthony

          > Cheers.
          >
          > --
          > Giuseppe Luigi Punzi
          >
          > :: ZYO :: Solutions everywhere
          >
          > email: glpunzi@...
          > tlfno: +34 675 145 912
          > web: http://www.zyoconsulting.com

          HyPerACtIVe?! HEY, Who ArE yoU cAllInG HYPERaCTive?!
          abriggs@...
        • Hamish Hughson
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 3, 2007
            --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, Giuseppe Luigi Punzi
            <glpunzi@...> wrote:

            > Hamish Hughson escribió:
            > >
            > > Hi Giuseppe,
            > >
            > > I'm pretty new to Atlantis myself and would have replied sooner
            but I
            > > had an assignment due in tomorrow and it took priority.
            > >
            > > Earlier this month Christoper Allen posted a link to his(?)
            > > Subversion server where the Atlantis source code is available.
            I've
            > > managed to download v5.0.0 and compile it using VS2005 running on
            > > Windows XP and will produce a new section 2.2 (but not 2.2.1) for
            the
            > > Atlantis Gamemaster's guide in the next few days.
            > >
            > > Documentation is out there, but there's a lot of dead links too.
            I've
            > > found that the websites for active/ in-active games often have
            useful
            > > information. However, heres a few links to sites that I've got
            > > bookmarked:
            > >
            > > The Atlantis Project - old but has some useful documentation -
            > > http://www.prankster.com/project/
            <http://www.prankster.com/project/>
            > > Voidspace - Atlantis v4.0.6 rules -
            > > http://www.voidspace.org.uk/voidspace/atlantis_rules4.htm
            > > <http://www.voidspace.org.uk/voidspace/atlantis_rules4.htm>
            > > Arcadia Atlantis Series - Arcadia v3.0.0 rules based on Atlantis
            > > v5.0.0 - http://arcadia.harmus.de/ <http://arcadia.harmus.de/>
            > > Daniel;s Atlantis PBEM Page - Player guides -
            > > http://www.geocities.com/dhadson/atlantis/
            > > <http://www.geocities.com/dhadson/atlantis/>
            > >
            > > These should give you a fair amount of material about Atlantis to
            > > read about and they all have links to other Atlantis resources,
            > > although its a pretty good bet that the majority will be dead
            links!

            > > Hope this helps and if you want a v5.0.0 Atlantis.exe for windows
            > > just let me know...
            > > Hamish
            > >

            > Thanks for your answer. I will check the links later.
            >
            > I have some questions,
            > - Atlantis works like VGA-Planets for example? I do my turn, I get
            > TRN file, I send this file to the HOST. The HOST put this file on a
            > directory and execute Host app. Or atlantis needs an Atlantis server
            > running 24h?
            >
            > - Can you recommend me some app to make the turns thath ran on
            Linux
            > and Windows?
            >
            > - How many days are needed to play one turn?
            >
            > I need a meeting with my friends this weekend to explain all of
            this.

            > Yes, I would like to get Atlantis5 to test. I will download the
            source too.

            > Cheers.
            >
            > --
            > Giuseppe Luigi Punzi
            >
            > :: ZYO :: Solutions everywhere
            >
            > email: glpunzi@...
            > tlfno: +34 675 145 912
            > web: http://www.zyoconsulting.com

            Hi again Giuseppe,

            As promised here is a link to an Atlantis v5.0.0 executable for
            Windows, no idea if its the variant you want though?

            http://www.hughson.demon.co.uk/index.html

            Hopefully it'll work for you, the two extra files are required to
            generate the rules file, just enter Atlantis from a command prompt
            and you'll get all the required syntax.

            Good Luck,
            Hamish