Re: Ship movement

  • starstrike99
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2007
      > Ok, so having played a game of atlantis, I'm trying to understand the
      > rationale for ship movement.
      >
      > Land movement is hex based, so every unit progresses 1 hex, pays their
      > movecost, and then battles and such are determined.
      >
      > Ship movement is a ship is moved it's entire movement range, checking
      > for blocks in each hex. Then the next ship is chosen.
      >
      > Would it be a major impact tactically for ships to move in the same
      > format as land? Ie every ship moves 1 hex at a time?

      Haven't seen a reply to this one.

      Arcadia uses the movement system you describe with ships and units
      moving in synch. Although since a lot of ships in Arcadia have more mp
      than units (especially with a windmage), all late movement tends to be
      ships.

      We haven't had any fundamental problems, although it opens up quite
      different tactical situations - before, ships could sail in without
      land forces being able to move in response in the same turn; and in
      Arcadia a land unit can walk to a hex, board a ship midway through the
      move cycle, and then sail away with whatever movement the ship has left.

      Bradley