merging very large units

  • RadK
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
      Hi,

      I am running a couple of games of 4.0.10 atlantis.

      I have discovered a problem when merging very large units. If a player tries to merge a unit with 4500 men at comb-5(450) with one that has 9700 men at comb-5(450), it does not merge them correctly at all.

      It appears to be because days is an int rather than a long for skill.

      I think I have seen this on the list, but cannot find out whether anyone has fixed it or not...
      Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Rad
    • RadK
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 4, 2005
        Hi Enno,

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4, 2005
          Hi Enno,

          You are in fact right. The game.in file does store 8550000 for 19000 leaders at comb-5.
          So the multiplication does go well beyond an int.

          I will change the code to store an unsigned long, and see if that works. This is a bigger change than what I wanted to do, but my game has been running for over two years, and I don't want the game.in file to stop the game.

          Thanks,
          Rad
        • Enno Rehling
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 4, 2005
            RadK wrote:
            > Hi Enno,
            >
            > You are in fact right. The game.in file does store 8550000 for 19000 leaders at comb-5.
            > So the multiplication does go well beyond an int.
            >
            > I will change the code to store an unsigned long, and see if that works. This is a bigger change than what I wanted to do, but my game has been running for over two years, and I don't want the game.in file to stop the game.

            no, simply use a double for the multiplication. you never need to store
            something that's bigger than 32 bit (and you won't get 32 bit variables
            in many cases), your problem is only during the multiplication. Do this:

            newskill = (int)((oldskill * (double)newmen) / oldmen);

            That should do it. There's even a slightly nicer way, but I leave that
            as an excercise to the reader ;-)

            Enno.
            --
            A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of a message.
            Q: Why is top posting a sloppy form of writing?