Re: Compiling the source files?

  • b0drin
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 13, 2004
      Yes i am trying to compile in Windows and hey its a pain in the arse
      i agree.
      The source files i've got are versions 4.0.10k, 4.0.10i and 4.0.4.
      I think its the standard sources because its in the standard folder
      but i have also tried conquest too.
      Thanks for the quick reply, still tearing my hair out though!

      --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, "bbs00" <bbs00@y...> wrote:

      > --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, "b0drin" <BODRIN@a...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello everyone,
      > > I'm new to atlantis and i'm having trouble compiling the source
      code.

      > > The compiler i'm now using is Dev-C++ version 4.9.9.0 from
      > > www.bloodshed.net. Which is based on GCC.
      > >
      > > I've tried Visual c++6, borland c++3 and i've briefly tried to
      get
      > > Cygwin working, I didn't even know where to begin with that one.
      > >
      > > I've followed the instructions supplied in the gamemasters html
      file
      > > and tried to compile it. but i keep getting an error message at
      line
      > > 25 "Multiple target patterns".
      > > I don't even know what this means, can anyone help as i'd like to
      get
      > > this game up and running, plus what does it mean when it says
      update
      > > your include paths?
      > > Thank you in advance of any help b0drin!
      >
      > are you trying to compile the standard sources or modified ones?
      > and is it a 4.0.10 copy or the 5.0 version or an older copy of the
      > sources? it sounds like you are trying to compile on windows,
      > microsoft never makes anything easy except crashing computers lol
      > (personal apinion no offence intended) if you just wana compile the
      > standard 4.0.10 souces than look in the files section under binaries
      > to save some head ache. if not then check to make sure that
      everything
      > in the include section is where it's supposed to be.. I'm not real
      > sure how to explain it cause I'm not that great at it myself,
      goodluck
    • ennorehling
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 13, 2004
        --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, "b0drin" <BODRIN@a...> wrote:

        > Yes i am trying to compile in Windows and hey its a pain in the arse
        > i agree.
        > The source files i've got are versions 4.0.10k, 4.0.10i and 4.0.4.
        > I think its the standard sources because its in the standard folder
        > but i have also tried conquest too.
        > Thanks for the quick reply, still tearing my hair out though!

        Have you got any previous experience with compiling something? Because it sounds like you're trying a bunch of compilers and haven't used one before. If you haven't done C++ before, you're probably much better off with pre-compiled binaries than trying to compile the source. If you have, you should go for the compiler you know.

        I'm a bit surprised that Atlantis doesn't come with project files for Visal C++. I'm sure someone has made it compile on that compiler, and can maybe help out? Otherwise, I'd go with g++, because from the looks of the Makefile, that is what Atlantis uses by default. Get the cygwin setup.exe from http://www.cygwin.com/, make sure you're getting the g++ compiler installed. And if you can't get that to work, ask again with clippings from the error messages if you can.

        Enno.
      • radk@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 13, 2004
          Hi,

          I have compiled atlantis 4.0.10k on Visual C++6.0, and it worked just fine.
          If you want help with that, I should be able to help. What I will need is the
          error message that you get when you complile.

          One place to look first though is in your Visual C++ Tools/Options/Directories
          You go there to make sure all your source directories are present.

          Rad

          On 13 Nov 2004 at 12:35, b0drin wrote:

          > Hello everyone,
          > I'm new to atlantis and i'm having trouble compiling the source code.
          >
          > The compiler i'm now using is Dev-C++ version 4.9.9.0 from
          > www.bloodshed.net. Which is based on GCC.
          >
          > I've tried Visual c++6, borland c++3 and i've briefly tried to get
          > Cygwin working, I didn't even know where to begin with that one.
          >
          > I've followed the instructions supplied in the gamemasters html file
          > and tried to compile it. but i keep getting an error message at line
          > 25 "Multiple target patterns".
          > I don't even know what this means, can anyone help as i'd like to get
          > this game up and running, plus what does it mean when it says update
          > your include paths?
          > Thank you in advance of any help b0drin!

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • b0drin
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 14, 2004
            Yes i'm new to the compiling theory, the only other thing i managed
            to compile once was a tutorial on quake 3 modding, i still have the
            full source code for that.
            However Visual c++6 doesn't install properly on Windows XP with
            service pack 2 so thats out.
            I couldn't get to grips with the Cygwin package but the Dev c++
            package uses G++ as its compiler base the provided makefile doesn't
            want to work though as the compiler starts to build its own.
            If everyone thinks that a pre compiled binary would be better for me
            where abouts can i obtain one?
            Thanks again in advance!

            --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, radk@s... wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > I have compiled atlantis 4.0.10k on Visual C++6.0, and it worked
            just fine.
            > If you want help with that, I should be able to help. What I will
            need is the
            > error message that you get when you complile.
            >
            > One place to look first though is in your Visual C++
            Tools/Options/Directories
            > You go there to make sure all your source directories are present.
            >
            > Rad
            >

            > On 13 Nov 2004 at 12:35, b0drin wrote:
            >

            > > Hello everyone,
            > > I'm new to atlantis and i'm having trouble compiling the source
            code.

            > > The compiler i'm now using is Dev-C++ version 4.9.9.0 from
            > > www.bloodshed.net. Which is based on GCC.
            > >
            > > I've tried Visual c++6, borland c++3 and i've briefly tried to
            get
            > > Cygwin working, I didn't even know where to begin with that one.
            > >
            > > I've followed the instructions supplied in the gamemasters html
            file
            > > and tried to compile it. but i keep getting an error message at
            line
            > > 25 "Multiple target patterns".
            > > I don't even know what this means, can anyone help as i'd like to
            get
            > > this game up and running, plus what does it mean when it says
            update
            > > your include paths?
            > > Thank you in advance of any help b0drin!

            > > To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: atlantisdev-
            unsubscribe@e...
            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • b0drin
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 14, 2004
              Doh! Stupid me, i've found the executable binaries. They were hiding
              in the files category. Sorry everyone. I've run the exe file in a
              command window and got a list containing
              Atlantis New
              Atlantis Run
              Atlantis Edit

              Atlantis Map <Type> <Mapfile>
              Atlantis Mapunits
              Atlantis Genrules <Introfile> <cssfile> <Rule-Outputfile>
              Atlantis Check <Orderfiel> <Checkfile>

              Now what do i do to get the game going?
              I've typed the above commands in the console window and but I keep
              getting errors like not recognised as internal or external commands
              or non operable programs.
              I'd still like to learn how to compile it though.

            • Janis Ancens
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 14, 2004
                I suppose the .exe files have names like 'standard', 'wyreth',
                'conquest' or something like that depending of subdirectory. Running
                those without attributes shows you available options. I suppose you've
                typed 'atlantis new/run/something'. It is meant to be run as
                'standard/wyreth/conquest/anything new' depending again on the type of
                game you are going to run. This and more about starting a game can be
                read in the file named GAMEMASTER which is included in Atlantis source.
                If somehow it is missing check Files section of this forum.

                I can't provide any help with compiling under Windows though. Sorry :)

                Janis

                b0drin wrote:

                > Doh! Stupid me, i've found the executable binaries. They were hiding
                > in the files category. Sorry everyone. I've run the exe file in a
                > command window and got a list containing
                > Atlantis New
                > Atlantis Run
                > Atlantis Edit
                >
                > Atlantis Map <Type> <Mapfile>
                > Atlantis Mapunits
                > Atlantis Genrules <Introfile> <cssfile> <Rule-Outputfile>
                > Atlantis Check <Orderfiel> <Checkfile>
                >
                > Now what do i do to get the game going?
                > I've typed the above commands in the console window and but I keep
                > getting errors like not recognised as internal or external commands
                > or non operable programs.
                > I'd still like to learn how to compile it though.
                >
                > --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, "b0drin" <BODRIN@a...> wrote:
                >
                >>Yes i'm new to the compiling theory, the only other thing i managed
                >>to compile once was a tutorial on quake 3 modding, i still have the
                >>full source code for that.
                >>However Visual c++6 doesn't install properly on Windows XP with
                >>service pack 2 so thats out.
                >>I couldn't get to grips with the Cygwin package but the Dev c++
                >>package uses G++ as its compiler base the provided makefile doesn't
                >>want to work though as the compiler starts to build its own.
                >>If everyone thinks that a pre compiled binary would be better for
                >
                > me
                >
                >>where abouts can i obtain one?
                >>Thanks again in advance!
                >>

                >>--- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, radk@s... wrote:
                >>
                >>>Hi,
                >>>
                >>>I have compiled atlantis 4.0.10k on Visual C++6.0, and it worked
                >>
                >>just fine.
                >>
                >>>If you want help with that, I should be able to help. What I
                >
                > will
                >
                >>need is the
                >>
                >>>error message that you get when you complile.
                >>>
                >>>One place to look first though is in your Visual C++
                >>
                >>Tools/Options/Directories
                >>
                >>>You go there to make sure all your source directories are present.
                >>>
                >>>Rad

                >>code.

                >>get

                >>file

                >>line

                >>get

                >>update

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • b0drin
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 14, 2004
                  Thank you so much the commands you provided below were just the info
                  that i needed.
                  I've just got the question how wide should the map be? I'm presuming
                  this is the standard response when the game is working!
                  Once more thank you!

                • Janis Ancens
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 14, 2004
                    Size of map depends only on you. There are popular games as big as
                    256x256 with several underground levels and as small as 16x16. The
                    bigger the map the less aggressive game you get. I tend to think 32x32
                    to 64x64 makes a great game. Map larger than that is worth to take if
                    you plan to have over a hundred of active players but this is just my
                    opinion, many will disaggree :)

                    Janis

                    b0drin wrote:

                    > Thank you so much the commands you provided below were just the info
                    > that i needed. I've just got the question how wide should the map
                    > be? I'm presuming this is the standard response when the game is
                    > working! Once more thank you!
                    >
                    > --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, Janis Ancens <h2so4@p...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> I suppose the .exe files have names like 'standard', 'wyreth',
                    >> 'conquest' or something like that depending of subdirectory.
                    >
                    > Running
                    >
                    >> those without attributes shows you available options. I suppose
                    >
                    > you've
                    >
                    >> typed 'atlantis new/run/something'. It is meant to be run as
                    >> 'standard/wyreth/conquest/anything new' depending again on the type
                    >>

                    > of
                    >
                    >> game you are going to run. This and more about starting a game can
                    >>

                    > be
                    >
                    >> read in the file named GAMEMASTER which is included in Atlantis
                    >
                    > source.
                    >
                    >> If somehow it is missing check Files section of this forum.
                    >>
                    >> I can't provide any help with compiling under Windows though.
                    >
                    > Sorry :)
                    >
                    >> Janis
                    >>
                    >> b0drin wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> Doh! Stupid me, i've found the executable binaries. They were
                    >
                    > hiding
                    >
                    >>> in the files category. Sorry everyone. I've run the exe file in a
                    >>> command window and got a list containing Atlantis New Atlantis
                    >>> Run Atlantis Edit
                    >>>
                    >>> Atlantis Map <Type> <Mapfile> Atlantis Mapunits Atlantis Genrules
                    >>> <Introfile> <cssfile> <Rule-Outputfile> Atlantis Check
                    >>> <Orderfiel> <Checkfile>
                    >>>
                    >>> Now what do i do to get the game going? I've typed the above
                    >>> commands in the console window and but I
                    >
                    > keep
                    >
                    >>> getting errors like not recognised as internal or external
                    >
                    > commands
                    >
                    >>> or non operable programs. I'd still like to learn how to compile
                    >>> it though.

                    > managed

                    > the

                    > doesn't

                    >>> me

                    >>> will

                    > present.

                    >>> send a blank message to: atlantisdev-

                    >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • b0drin
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 14, 2004
                      I've typed in a 16*16 map and got the player.out and game.out files
                      in the directory. Now how do i get any instructions into the game
                      engine. Do i alter the files in a text editor?
                      Plus is their a list of commands that the engine understands so me
                      and my players can actually start wargaming?
                      Thanks in advance again!
                      Bodrin

                      --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, Janis Ancens <h2so4@p...> wrote:
                      > Size of map depends only on you. There are popular games as big as
                      > 256x256 with several underground levels and as small as 16x16. The
                      > bigger the map the less aggressive game you get. I tend to think
                      32x32
                      > to 64x64 makes a great game. Map larger than that is worth to take
                      if
                      > you plan to have over a hundred of active players but this is just
                      my
                      > opinion, many will disaggree :)
                      >
                      > Janis
                    • Janis Ancens
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 14, 2004
                        Did you read that GAMEMASTER file? If not do so.

                        players.* file is where you should add new players. You can do it via
                        simple text editor like Notepad or use some scripts (I'm pretty sure
                        there are some around). Running a turn creates *.out and report.<ID>
                        (where <ID> is faction number, if this a starting turn there will be
                        players => no turn reports) files. Reports need to be sent out to
                        players which again should write orders using templates (or client
                        programms) for next turn and send them back to you. Create a new folder
                        for the next turn. Copy last turn *.out files to the new folder renaming
                        them to *.in and put orders as orders.<ID> there. When all orders are in
                        / time is up run the game .exe from this directory. Consider some
                        automation, you will find doing it by hand annoying very soon. Thera,
                        for example, would be a good choice.

                        About commands you may use for your units you should check Rules. They
                        are generated with <Atlantis> GENRULES [options] command.

                        RTFM ;)

                        Janis

                        b0drin wrote:

                        > I've typed in a 16*16 map and got the player.out and game.out files
                        > in the directory. Now how do i get any instructions into the game
                        > engine. Do i alter the files in a text editor?
                        > Plus is their a list of commands that the engine understands so me
                        > and my players can actually start wargaming?
                        > Thanks in advance again!
                        > Bodrin
                        >
                        > --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, Janis Ancens <h2so4@p...> wrote:
                        >
                        >>Size of map depends only on you. There are popular games as big as
                        >>256x256 with several underground levels and as small as 16x16. The
                        >>bigger the map the less aggressive game you get. I tend to think
                        >
                        > 32x32
                        >
                        >>to 64x64 makes a great game. Map larger than that is worth to take
                        >
                        > if
                        >
                        >>you plan to have over a hundred of active players but this is just
                        >
                        > my
                        >
                        >>opinion, many will disaggree :)
                        >>
                        >>Janis
                      • b0drin
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 14, 2004
                          Yes i've read through the GAMEMASTER file.
                          It isn't that helpful about commands nor does it explain the options
                          to use with GENRULES.
                          It only shows the syntax for the players.in file. I've managed to
                          alter the Game.out and Player.out files to *.in files respectively
                          within the console box. I found that quite easy to do. But all i get
                          when i type Standard Genrules Rules.txt or similar is a message
                          saying unable to generate rules. Am i missing some text file or Rules
                          file somewhere or am i doing something wrong.

                          Also when i try the command Standard.exe run i get the messages

                          Reading the Regions
                          Setting up the neighbours
                          Setting up turn
                          Reading the Gamemaster file
                          Couldn't run the game!

                          Why? I'm presuming it has something to do with the Gamemaster file as
                          all this is is a guide on compiling and altering the source code!

                          --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, Janis Ancens <h2so4@p...> wrote:
                          > Did you read that GAMEMASTER file? If not do so.
                          >
                          > players.* file is where you should add new players. You can do it
                          via
                          > simple text editor like Notepad or use some scripts (I'm pretty
                          sure
                          > there are some around). Running a turn creates *.out and
                          report.<ID>
                          > (where <ID> is faction number, if this a starting turn there will
                          be
                          > players => no turn reports) files. Reports need to be sent out to
                          > players which again should write orders using templates (or client
                          > programms) for next turn and send them back to you. Create a new
                          folder
                          > for the next turn. Copy last turn *.out files to the new folder
                          renaming
                          > them to *.in and put orders as orders.<ID> there. When all orders
                          are in
                          > / time is up run the game .exe from this directory. Consider some
                          > automation, you will find doing it by hand annoying very soon.
                          Thera,
                          > for example, would be a good choice.
                          >
                          > About commands you may use for your units you should check Rules.
                          They
                          > are generated with <Atlantis> GENRULES [options] command.
                          >
                          > RTFM ;)
                          >
                          > Janis
                        • Janis Ancens
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 14, 2004
                            Arrgh...

                            Command for Rules file generation has following syntax:
                            as should be seen when you run <Atlantis whatever.exe> without
                            arguments. All of these options are necessary otherwise generation will
                            fail.

                            So, you should type in command line something like this:
                            standard genrules standard_intro.html html\standard.css rules.html
                            ...and file named rules.html should be generated.

                            Of course, you can name that file otherwise if you wish. If not fond of
                            the standard intro text of css options (for example, I would change
                            background to white and text to black in css) feel free to change those
                            too. ;)

                            I suppose when the game is run the gamemaster file is meant one of those
                            *.in files, but I may be mistaken here. This definitely should not be
                            that text file describing Atlantis setup. How do you run the *.exe file?
                            It is meant to be run from directory containing *.in files something
                            like this:
                            ..\standard run

                            Janis

                          • radk@sbcglobal.net
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 14, 2004
                              What you forgot to do is move the game.out and players.out to *.in
                              respectively. After this, your game engine will find the game files.

                              Rad

                              On 14 Nov 2004 at 19:28, b0drin wrote:

                              > Yes i've read through the GAMEMASTER file.
                              > It isn't that helpful about commands nor does it explain the options
                              > to use with GENRULES.
                              > It only shows the syntax for the players.in file. I've managed to
                              > alter the Game.out and Player.out files to *.in files respectively
                              > within the console box. I found that quite easy to do. But all i get
                              > when i type Standard Genrules Rules.txt or similar is a message
                              > saying unable to generate rules. Am i missing some text file or Rules
                              > file somewhere or am i doing something wrong.
                              >
                              > Also when i try the command Standard.exe run i get the messages
                              >
                              > Reading the Regions
                              > Setting up the neighbours
                              > Setting up turn
                              > Reading the Gamemaster file
                              > Couldn't run the game!
                              >
                              > Why? I'm presuming it has something to do with the Gamemaster file as
                              > all this is is a guide on compiling and altering the source code!
                              >
                              > --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, Janis Ancens <h2so4@p...> wrote:
                              > > Did you read that GAMEMASTER file? If not do so.
                              > >
                              > > players.* file is where you should add new players. You can do it
                              > via
                              > > simple text editor like Notepad or use some scripts (I'm pretty
                              > sure
                              > > there are some around). Running a turn creates *.out and
                              > report.<ID>
                              > > (where <ID> is faction number, if this a starting turn there will
                              > be
                              > > players => no turn reports) files. Reports need to be sent out to
                              > > players which again should write orders using templates (or client
                              > > programms) for next turn and send them back to you. Create a new
                              > folder
                              > > for the next turn. Copy last turn *.out files to the new folder
                              > renaming
                              > > them to *.in and put orders as orders.<ID> there. When all orders
                              > are in
                              > > / time is up run the game .exe from this directory. Consider some
                              > > automation, you will find doing it by hand annoying very soon.
                              > Thera,
                              > > for example, would be a good choice.
                              > >
                              > > About commands you may use for your units you should check Rules.
                              > They
                              > > are generated with <Atlantis> GENRULES [options] command.
                              > >
                              > > RTFM ;)
                              > >
                              > > Janis

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • b0drin
                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 14, 2004
                                I've managed to generate the rules through trial and error. I've also
                                managed to get the engine running by renaming the *.out files to *.in
                                Forgive me for asking lots of what is obviously stupid questions to
                                people more experienced with this type of thing nut i haven't done
                                any in depth command line stuff before so its all very new.
                                I'm sure that when you were all learning you needed to ask pertinent
                                questions however i want to make this game work and unfortunately
                                this forum seems to be the only place to ask these things.
                                Thanks once more bodrin!

                                --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, Janis Ancens <h2so4@p...> wrote:
                                > Arrgh...
                                >
                                > Command for Rules file generation has following syntax:
                                > as should be seen when you run <Atlantis whatever.exe> without
                                > arguments. All of these options are necessary otherwise generation
                                will
                                > fail.
                                >
                                > So, you should type in command line something like this:
                                > standard genrules standard_intro.html html\standard.css rules.html
                                > ...and file named rules.html should be generated.
                                >
                                > Of course, you can name that file otherwise if you wish. If not
                                fond of
                                > the standard intro text of css options (for example, I would change
                                > background to white and text to black in css) feel free to change
                                those
                                > too. ;)
                                >
                                > I suppose when the game is run the gamemaster file is meant one of
                                those
                                > *.in files, but I may be mistaken here. This definitely should not
                                be
                                > that text file describing Atlantis setup. How do you run the *.exe
                                file?
                                > It is meant to be run from directory containing *.in files
                                something
                                > like this:
                                > ..\standard run
                                >
                                > Janis
                              • Brandon
                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 14, 2004
                                  b0drin wrote:

                                  >I've managed to generate the rules through trial and error. I've also
                                  >managed to get the engine running by renaming the *.out files to *.in
                                  >Forgive me for asking lots of what is obviously stupid questions to
                                  >people more experienced with this type of thing nut i haven't done
                                  >any in depth command line stuff before so its all very new.
                                  >I'm sure that when you were all learning you needed to ask pertinent
                                  >questions however i want to make this game work and unfortunately
                                  >this forum seems to be the only place to ask these things.
                                  >Thanks once more bodrin!

                                  once agian might I state that windows sucks... back in the dos day if
                                  you didn't know the command line you didn't realy need a computer.
                                  even though I tend to use windows on most of my comps I still don't like
                                  it.. I only use windows out of need. I own a computer store and
                                  all my book keeping software is for windows only. I'll take almost
                                  anything over windows if given the option lol. anything from linux to mac to
                                  beos to cpm to cobol. ok my rant is now over. I realy need to find
                                  time to do something with that faq I started in the database section,
                                  maybe it will help get started faster next time.

                                  goodluck with your game and if all goes well I'll be willing to join if
                                  you like

                                  later
                                • John Woolsey
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 14, 2004
                                    Hey have you checked out www.truehonour.com :D

                                    - bfn - JAW
                                  • Anthony Briggs
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Nov 21, 2004
                                      b0drin wrote:

                                      > Hello everyone,
                                      > I'm new to atlantis and i'm having trouble compiling the source code.
                                      >
                                      > The compiler i'm now using is Dev-C++ version 4.9.9.0 from
                                      > www.bloodshed.net. Which is based on GCC.
                                      >
                                      > I've tried Visual c++6, borland c++3 and i've briefly tried to get
                                      > Cygwin working, I didn't even know where to begin with that one.
                                      >
                                      > I've followed the instructions supplied in the gamemasters html file
                                      > and tried to compile it. but i keep getting an error message at line
                                      > 25 "Multiple target patterns".
                                      > I don't even know what this means, can anyone help as i'd like to get
                                      > this game up and running, plus what does it mean when it says update
                                      > your include paths?
                                      > Thank you in advance of any help

                                      I know nothing about devcpp, but I do know how to use Google (hint,
                                      hint). A quick google search for "multiple target patterns" devcpp
                                      <http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Multiple+target+patterns%22+devcpp>
                                      reveals the following page
                                      <http://www.kvr-vst.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30165>. Towards the bottom
                                      there's this exchange:

                                      Meh, now I'm getting "5 C:\Dev-Cpp\makedeps.mak *** multiple target
                                      patterns. Stop."

                                      I'm thinking I don't even want to mess with this and will just snag the
                                      Visual Studio CD from work, heh Smile

                                      Just take out the extra makefile from the makefile tab of the project
                                      settings. I'm overfond of makefile hacks...

                                      That works. Thanks!

                                      I suspect the reason is that you c'n'p'd the makefile content from my
                                      earlier message... and the <TAB> characters at the start of the lines
                                      converted to spaces. That really screw make up. If you can be bothered,
                                      try replacing leading spaces on the $(CPP), $(CC) and rm lines with
                                      literal <TAB> (x09) characters.

                                      So that gives you two options to try - an extra makefile, or one that
                                      has spaces instead of tabs. Let us know how it goes.

                                      Anthony

                                      HyPEraCtiVE? HeY, WhO aRE YoU cALliNg HypERaCtIve?!
                                      aBRiGgS@...
                                    • Anthony Briggs
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Nov 21, 2004
                                        b0drin wrote:

                                        > ... i've found the executable binaries ... I've run the exe file in a
                                        > command window and got a list containing
                                        > Atlantis New
                                        > Atlantis Run
                                        > Atlantis Edit
                                        >
                                        > Atlantis Map <Type> <Mapfile>
                                        > Atlantis Mapunits
                                        > Atlantis Genrules <Introfile> <cssfile> <Rule-Outputfile>
                                        > Atlantis Check <Orderfiel> <Checkfile>
                                        >
                                        > Now what do i do to get the game going?

                                        Read the GAMEMASTER file.

                                        Anthony

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Nov 21, 2004
                                          b0drin wrote:

                                          > Yes i've read through the GAMEMASTER file.
                                          > It isn't that helpful about commands nor does it explain the options
                                          > to use with GENRULES.

                                          Most of your questions have been answered already, so I'll try and give
                                          you more broad hints.

                                          In general, the best way to ask for help on a mailing list is to try and
                                          explain what you've already done, and/or what *specifically* you don't
                                          understand. Something like "I've tried <command> from the gamemaster
                                          file, but instead of <blah>, it gives me <foo>. What's going on?"

                                          Section 3.1 of the gamemaster file contains a detailed, step-by-step
                                          example of running a turn, complete with input and output. If you can
                                          follow that, you know roughly how the turns are run. True, it's for
                                          UNIX, but the commands in Windows should be pretty much exactly the same.

                                          Also, the Atlantisdev archives are a good source of info for common
                                          questions. Yahoo's searching mechanism is a little bit wierd - it
                                          searches month by month, and you have to keep hitting 'Next' - but other
                                          than that, it's good.