Re: Compiling the source files?

  • bbs00
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 13, 2004
      --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, "b0drin" <BODRIN@a...> wrote:

      > Hello everyone,
      > I'm new to atlantis and i'm having trouble compiling the source code.
      >
      > The compiler i'm now using is Dev-C++ version 4.9.9.0 from
      > www.bloodshed.net. Which is based on GCC.
      >
      > I've tried Visual c++6, borland c++3 and i've briefly tried to get
      > Cygwin working, I didn't even know where to begin with that one.
      >
      > I've followed the instructions supplied in the gamemasters html file
      > and tried to compile it. but i keep getting an error message at line
      > 25 "Multiple target patterns".
      > I don't even know what this means, can anyone help as i'd like to get
      > this game up and running, plus what does it mean when it says update
      > your include paths?
      > Thank you in advance of any help b0drin!

      are you trying to compile the standard sources or modified ones?
      and is it a 4.0.10 copy or the 5.0 version or an older copy of the
      sources? it sounds like you are trying to compile on windows,
      microsoft never makes anything easy except crashing computers lol
      (personal apinion no offence intended) if you just wana compile the
      standard 4.0.10 souces than look in the files section under binaries
      to save some head ache. if not then check to make sure that everything
      in the include section is where it's supposed to be.. I'm not real
      sure how to explain it cause I'm not that great at it myself, goodluck
    • b0drin
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 13, 2004
        Yes i am trying to compile in Windows and hey its a pain in the arse
        i agree.
        The source files i've got are versions 4.0.10k, 4.0.10i and 4.0.4.
        I think its the standard sources because its in the standard folder
        but i have also tried conquest too.
        Thanks for the quick reply, still tearing my hair out though!

        --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, "bbs00" <bbs00@y...> wrote:

        > --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, "b0drin" <BODRIN@a...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello everyone,
        > > I'm new to atlantis and i'm having trouble compiling the source
        code.

        > > The compiler i'm now using is Dev-C++ version 4.9.9.0 from
        > > www.bloodshed.net. Which is based on GCC.
        > >
        > > I've tried Visual c++6, borland c++3 and i've briefly tried to
        get
        > > Cygwin working, I didn't even know where to begin with that one.
        > >
        > > I've followed the instructions supplied in the gamemasters html
        file
        > > and tried to compile it. but i keep getting an error message at
        line
        > > 25 "Multiple target patterns".
        > > I don't even know what this means, can anyone help as i'd like to
        get
        > > this game up and running, plus what does it mean when it says
        update
        > > your include paths?
        > > Thank you in advance of any help b0drin!
        >
        > are you trying to compile the standard sources or modified ones?
        > and is it a 4.0.10 copy or the 5.0 version or an older copy of the
        > sources? it sounds like you are trying to compile on windows,
        > microsoft never makes anything easy except crashing computers lol
        > (personal apinion no offence intended) if you just wana compile the
        > standard 4.0.10 souces than look in the files section under binaries
        > to save some head ache. if not then check to make sure that
        everything
        > in the include section is where it's supposed to be.. I'm not real
        > sure how to explain it cause I'm not that great at it myself,
        goodluck
      • ennorehling
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 13, 2004
          --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, "b0drin" <BODRIN@a...> wrote:

          > Yes i am trying to compile in Windows and hey its a pain in the arse
          > i agree.
          > The source files i've got are versions 4.0.10k, 4.0.10i and 4.0.4.
          > I think its the standard sources because its in the standard folder
          > but i have also tried conquest too.
          > Thanks for the quick reply, still tearing my hair out though!

          Have you got any previous experience with compiling something? Because it sounds like you're trying a bunch of compilers and haven't used one before. If you haven't done C++ before, you're probably much better off with pre-compiled binaries than trying to compile the source. If you have, you should go for the compiler you know.

          I'm a bit surprised that Atlantis doesn't come with project files for Visal C++. I'm sure someone has made it compile on that compiler, and can maybe help out? Otherwise, I'd go with g++, because from the looks of the Makefile, that is what Atlantis uses by default. Get the cygwin setup.exe from http://www.cygwin.com/, make sure you're getting the g++ compiler installed. And if you can't get that to work, ask again with clippings from the error messages if you can.

          Enno.
        • radk@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 13, 2004
            Hi,

            I have compiled atlantis 4.0.10k on Visual C++6.0, and it worked just fine.
            If you want help with that, I should be able to help. What I will need is the
            error message that you get when you complile.

            One place to look first though is in your Visual C++ Tools/Options/Directories
            You go there to make sure all your source directories are present.

            Rad

            On 13 Nov 2004 at 12:35, b0drin wrote:

            > Hello everyone,
            > I'm new to atlantis and i'm having trouble compiling the source code.
            >
            > The compiler i'm now using is Dev-C++ version 4.9.9.0 from
            > www.bloodshed.net. Which is based on GCC.
            >
            > I've tried Visual c++6, borland c++3 and i've briefly tried to get
            > Cygwin working, I didn't even know where to begin with that one.
            >
            > I've followed the instructions supplied in the gamemasters html file
            > and tried to compile it. but i keep getting an error message at line
            > 25 "Multiple target patterns".
            > I don't even know what this means, can anyone help as i'd like to get
            > this game up and running, plus what does it mean when it says update
            > your include paths?
            > Thank you in advance of any help b0drin!

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • b0drin
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 14, 2004
              Yes i'm new to the compiling theory, the only other thing i managed
              to compile once was a tutorial on quake 3 modding, i still have the
              full source code for that.
              However Visual c++6 doesn't install properly on Windows XP with
              service pack 2 so thats out.
              I couldn't get to grips with the Cygwin package but the Dev c++
              package uses G++ as its compiler base the provided makefile doesn't
              want to work though as the compiler starts to build its own.
              If everyone thinks that a pre compiled binary would be better for me
              where abouts can i obtain one?
              Thanks again in advance!

              --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, radk@s... wrote:
              > Hi,
              >
              > I have compiled atlantis 4.0.10k on Visual C++6.0, and it worked
              just fine.
              > If you want help with that, I should be able to help. What I will
              need is the
              > error message that you get when you complile.
              >
              > One place to look first though is in your Visual C++
              Tools/Options/Directories
              > You go there to make sure all your source directories are present.
              >
              > Rad
              >

              > On 13 Nov 2004 at 12:35, b0drin wrote:
              >

              > > Hello everyone,
              > > I'm new to atlantis and i'm having trouble compiling the source
              code.

              > > The compiler i'm now using is Dev-C++ version 4.9.9.0 from
              > > www.bloodshed.net. Which is based on GCC.
              > >
              > > I've tried Visual c++6, borland c++3 and i've briefly tried to
              get
              > > Cygwin working, I didn't even know where to begin with that one.
              > >
              > > I've followed the instructions supplied in the gamemasters html
              file
              > > and tried to compile it. but i keep getting an error message at
              line
              > > 25 "Multiple target patterns".
              > > I don't even know what this means, can anyone help as i'd like to
              get
              > > this game up and running, plus what does it mean when it says
              update
              > > your include paths?
              > > Thank you in advance of any help b0drin!

              > > To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: atlantisdev-
              unsubscribe@e...
              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • b0drin
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 14, 2004
                Doh! Stupid me, i've found the executable binaries. They were hiding
                in the files category. Sorry everyone. I've run the exe file in a
                command window and got a list containing
                Atlantis New
                Atlantis Run
                Atlantis Edit

                Atlantis Map <Type> <Mapfile>
                Atlantis Mapunits
                Atlantis Genrules <Introfile> <cssfile> <Rule-Outputfile>
                Atlantis Check <Orderfiel> <Checkfile>

                Now what do i do to get the game going?
                I've typed the above commands in the console window and but I keep
                getting errors like not recognised as internal or external commands
                or non operable programs.
                I'd still like to learn how to compile it though.

              • Janis Ancens
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 14, 2004
                  I suppose the .exe files have names like 'standard', 'wyreth',
                  'conquest' or something like that depending of subdirectory. Running
                  those without attributes shows you available options. I suppose you've
                  typed 'atlantis new/run/something'. It is meant to be run as
                  'standard/wyreth/conquest/anything new' depending again on the type of
                  game you are going to run. This and more about starting a game can be
                  read in the file named GAMEMASTER which is included in Atlantis source.
                  If somehow it is missing check Files section of this forum.

                  I can't provide any help with compiling under Windows though. Sorry :)

                  Janis

                  b0drin wrote:

                  > Doh! Stupid me, i've found the executable binaries. They were hiding
                  > in the files category. Sorry everyone. I've run the exe file in a
                  > command window and got a list containing
                  > Atlantis New
                  > Atlantis Run
                  > Atlantis Edit
                  >
                  > Atlantis Map <Type> <Mapfile>
                  > Atlantis Mapunits
                  > Atlantis Genrules <Introfile> <cssfile> <Rule-Outputfile>
                  > Atlantis Check <Orderfiel> <Checkfile>
                  >
                  > Now what do i do to get the game going?
                  > I've typed the above commands in the console window and but I keep
                  > getting errors like not recognised as internal or external commands
                  > or non operable programs.
                  > I'd still like to learn how to compile it though.
                  >
                  > --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, "b0drin" <BODRIN@a...> wrote:
                  >
                  >>Yes i'm new to the compiling theory, the only other thing i managed
                  >>to compile once was a tutorial on quake 3 modding, i still have the
                  >>full source code for that.
                  >>However Visual c++6 doesn't install properly on Windows XP with
                  >>service pack 2 so thats out.
                  >>I couldn't get to grips with the Cygwin package but the Dev c++
                  >>package uses G++ as its compiler base the provided makefile doesn't
                  >>want to work though as the compiler starts to build its own.
                  >>If everyone thinks that a pre compiled binary would be better for
                  >
                  > me
                  >
                  >>where abouts can i obtain one?
                  >>Thanks again in advance!
                  >>

                  >>--- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, radk@s... wrote:
                  >>
                  >>>Hi,
                  >>>
                  >>>I have compiled atlantis 4.0.10k on Visual C++6.0, and it worked
                  >>
                  >>just fine.
                  >>
                  >>>If you want help with that, I should be able to help. What I
                  >
                  > will
                  >
                  >>need is the
                  >>
                  >>>error message that you get when you complile.
                  >>>
                  >>>One place to look first though is in your Visual C++
                  >>
                  >>Tools/Options/Directories
                  >>
                  >>>You go there to make sure all your source directories are present.
                  >>>
                  >>>Rad

                  >>code.

                  >>get

                  >>file

                  >>line

                  >>get

                  >>update

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • b0drin
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 14, 2004
                    Thank you so much the commands you provided below were just the info
                    that i needed.
                    I've just got the question how wide should the map be? I'm presuming
                    this is the standard response when the game is working!
                    Once more thank you!

                  • Janis Ancens
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 14, 2004
                      Size of map depends only on you. There are popular games as big as
                      256x256 with several underground levels and as small as 16x16. The
                      bigger the map the less aggressive game you get. I tend to think 32x32
                      to 64x64 makes a great game. Map larger than that is worth to take if
                      you plan to have over a hundred of active players but this is just my
                      opinion, many will disaggree :)

                      Janis

                      b0drin wrote:

                      > Thank you so much the commands you provided below were just the info
                      > that i needed. I've just got the question how wide should the map
                      > be? I'm presuming this is the standard response when the game is
                      > working! Once more thank you!
                      >
                      > --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, Janis Ancens <h2so4@p...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> I suppose the .exe files have names like 'standard', 'wyreth',
                      >> 'conquest' or something like that depending of subdirectory.
                      >
                      > Running
                      >
                      >> those without attributes shows you available options. I suppose
                      >
                      > you've
                      >
                      >> typed 'atlantis new/run/something'. It is meant to be run as
                      >> 'standard/wyreth/conquest/anything new' depending again on the type
                      >>

                      > of
                      >
                      >> game you are going to run. This and more about starting a game can
                      >>

                      > be
                      >
                      >> read in the file named GAMEMASTER which is included in Atlantis
                      >
                      > source.
                      >
                      >> If somehow it is missing check Files section of this forum.
                      >>
                      >> I can't provide any help with compiling under Windows though.
                      >
                      > Sorry :)
                      >
                      >> Janis
                      >>
                      >> b0drin wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> Doh! Stupid me, i've found the executable binaries. They were
                      >
                      > hiding
                      >
                      >>> in the files category. Sorry everyone. I've run the exe file in a
                      >>> command window and got a list containing Atlantis New Atlantis
                      >>> Run Atlantis Edit
                      >>>
                      >>> Atlantis Map <Type> <Mapfile> Atlantis Mapunits Atlantis Genrules
                      >>> <Introfile> <cssfile> <Rule-Outputfile> Atlantis Check
                      >>> <Orderfiel> <Checkfile>
                      >>>
                      >>> Now what do i do to get the game going? I've typed the above
                      >>> commands in the console window and but I
                      >
                      > keep
                      >
                      >>> getting errors like not recognised as internal or external
                      >
                      > commands
                      >
                      >>> or non operable programs. I'd still like to learn how to compile
                      >>> it though.

                      > managed

                      > the

                      > doesn't

                      >>> me

                      >>> will

                      > present.

                      >>> send a blank message to: atlantisdev-

                      >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • b0drin
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 14, 2004
                        I've typed in a 16*16 map and got the player.out and game.out files
                        in the directory. Now how do i get any instructions into the game
                        engine. Do i alter the files in a text editor?
                        Plus is their a list of commands that the engine understands so me
                        and my players can actually start wargaming?
                        Thanks in advance again!
                        Bodrin

                        --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, Janis Ancens <h2so4@p...> wrote:
                        > Size of map depends only on you. There are popular games as big as
                        > 256x256 with several underground levels and as small as 16x16. The
                        > bigger the map the less aggressive game you get. I tend to think
                        32x32
                        > to 64x64 makes a great game. Map larger than that is worth to take
                        if
                        > you plan to have over a hundred of active players but this is just
                        my
                        > opinion, many will disaggree :)
                        >
                        > Janis
                      • Janis Ancens
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 14, 2004
                          Did you read that GAMEMASTER file? If not do so.

                          players.* file is where you should add new players. You can do it via
                          simple text editor like Notepad or use some scripts (I'm pretty sure
                          there are some around). Running a turn creates *.out and report.<ID>
                          (where <ID> is faction number, if this a starting turn there will be
                          players => no turn reports) files. Reports need to be sent out to
                          players which again should write orders using templates (or client
                          programms) for next turn and send them back to you. Create a new folder
                          for the next turn. Copy last turn *.out files to the new folder renaming
                          them to *.in and put orders as orders.<ID> there. When all orders are in
                          / time is up run the game .exe from this directory. Consider some
                          automation, you will find doing it by hand annoying very soon. Thera,
                          for example, would be a good choice.

                          About commands you may use for your units you should check Rules. They
                          are generated with <Atlantis> GENRULES [options] command.

                          RTFM ;)

                          Janis

                          b0drin wrote:

                          > I've typed in a 16*16 map and got the player.out and game.out files
                          > in the directory. Now how do i get any instructions into the game
                          > engine. Do i alter the files in a text editor?
                          > Plus is their a list of commands that the engine understands so me
                          > and my players can actually start wargaming?
                          > Thanks in advance again!
                          > Bodrin
                          >
                          > --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, Janis Ancens <h2so4@p...> wrote:
                          >
                          >>Size of map depends only on you. There are popular games as big as
                          >>256x256 with several underground levels and as small as 16x16. The
                          >>bigger the map the less aggressive game you get. I tend to think
                          >
                          > 32x32
                          >
                          >>to 64x64 makes a great game. Map larger than that is worth to take
                          >
                          > if
                          >
                          >>you plan to have over a hundred of active players but this is just
                          >
                          > my
                          >
                          >>opinion, many will disaggree :)
                          >>
                          >>Janis
                        • b0drin
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 14, 2004
                            Yes i've read through the GAMEMASTER file.
                            It isn't that helpful about commands nor does it explain the options
                            to use with GENRULES.
                            It only shows the syntax for the players.in file. I've managed to
                            alter the Game.out and Player.out files to *.in files respectively
                            within the console box. I found that quite easy to do. But all i get
                            when i type Standard Genrules Rules.txt or similar is a message
                            saying unable to generate rules. Am i missing some text file or Rules
                            file somewhere or am i doing something wrong.

                            Also when i try the command Standard.exe run i get the messages

                            Reading the Regions
                            Setting up the neighbours
                            Setting up turn
                            Reading the Gamemaster file
                            Couldn't run the game!

                            Why? I'm presuming it has something to do with the Gamemaster file as
                            all this is is a guide on compiling and altering the source code!

                            --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, Janis Ancens <h2so4@p...> wrote:
                            > Did you read that GAMEMASTER file? If not do so.
                            >
                            > players.* file is where you should add new players. You can do it
                            via
                            > simple text editor like Notepad or use some scripts (I'm pretty
                            sure
                            > there are some around). Running a turn creates *.out and
                            report.<ID>
                            > (where <ID> is faction number, if this a starting turn there will
                            be
                            > players => no turn reports) files. Reports need to be sent out to
                            > players which again should write orders using templates (or client
                            > programms) for next turn and send them back to you. Create a new
                            folder
                            > for the next turn. Copy last turn *.out files to the new folder
                            renaming
                            > them to *.in and put orders as orders.<ID> there. When all orders
                            are in
                            > / time is up run the game .exe from this directory. Consider some
                            > automation, you will find doing it by hand annoying very soon.
                            Thera,
                            > for example, would be a good choice.
                            >
                            > About commands you may use for your units you should check Rules.
                            They
                            > are generated with <Atlantis> GENRULES [options] command.
                            >
                            > RTFM ;)
                            >
                            > Janis
                          • Janis Ancens
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 14, 2004
                              Arrgh...

                              Command for Rules file generation has following syntax:
                              as should be seen when you run <Atlantis whatever.exe> without
                              arguments. All of these options are necessary otherwise generation will
                              fail.

                              So, you should type in command line something like this:
                              standard genrules standard_intro.html html\standard.css rules.html
                              ...and file named rules.html should be generated.

                              Of course, you can name that file otherwise if you wish. If not fond of
                              the standard intro text of css options (for example, I would change
                              background to white and text to black in css) feel free to change those
                              too. ;)

                              I suppose when the game is run the gamemaster file is meant one of those
                              *.in files, but I may be mistaken here. This definitely should not be
                              that text file describing Atlantis setup. How do you run the *.exe file?
                              It is meant to be run from directory containing *.in files something
                              like this:
                              ..\standard run

                              Janis

                            • radk@sbcglobal.net
                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 14, 2004
                                What you forgot to do is move the game.out and players.out to *.in
                                respectively. After this, your game engine will find the game files.

                                Rad

                                On 14 Nov 2004 at 19:28, b0drin wrote:

                                > Yes i've read through the GAMEMASTER file.
                                > It isn't that helpful about commands nor does it explain the options
                                > to use with GENRULES.
                                > It only shows the syntax for the players.in file. I've managed to
                                > alter the Game.out and Player.out files to *.in files respectively
                                > within the console box. I found that quite easy to do. But all i get
                                > when i type Standard Genrules Rules.txt or similar is a message
                                > saying unable to generate rules. Am i missing some text file or Rules
                                > file somewhere or am i doing something wrong.
                                >
                                > Also when i try the command Standard.exe run i get the messages
                                >
                                > Reading the Regions
                                > Setting up the neighbours
                                > Setting up turn
                                > Reading the Gamemaster file
                                > Couldn't run the game!
                                >
                                > Why? I'm presuming it has something to do with the Gamemaster file as
                                > all this is is a guide on compiling and altering the source code!
                                >
                                > --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, Janis Ancens <h2so4@p...> wrote:
                                > > Did you read that GAMEMASTER file? If not do so.
                                > >
                                > > players.* file is where you should add new players. You can do it
                                > via
                                > > simple text editor like Notepad or use some scripts (I'm pretty
                                > sure
                                > > there are some around). Running a turn creates *.out and
                                > report.<ID>
                                > > (where <ID> is faction number, if this a starting turn there will
                                > be
                                > > players => no turn reports) files. Reports need to be sent out to
                                > > players which again should write orders using templates (or client
                                > > programms) for next turn and send them back to you. Create a new
                                > folder
                                > > for the next turn. Copy last turn *.out files to the new folder
                                > renaming
                                > > them to *.in and put orders as orders.<ID> there. When all orders
                                > are in
                                > > / time is up run the game .exe from this directory. Consider some
                                > > automation, you will find doing it by hand annoying very soon.
                                > Thera,
                                > > for example, would be a good choice.
                                > >
                                > > About commands you may use for your units you should check Rules.
                                > They
                                > > are generated with <Atlantis> GENRULES [options] command.
                                > >
                                > > RTFM ;)
                                > >
                                > > Janis

                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • b0drin
                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 14, 2004
                                  I've managed to generate the rules through trial and error. I've also
                                  managed to get the engine running by renaming the *.out files to *.in
                                  Forgive me for asking lots of what is obviously stupid questions to
                                  people more experienced with this type of thing nut i haven't done
                                  any in depth command line stuff before so its all very new.
                                  I'm sure that when you were all learning you needed to ask pertinent
                                  questions however i want to make this game work and unfortunately
                                  this forum seems to be the only place to ask these things.
                                  Thanks once more bodrin!

                                  --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, Janis Ancens <h2so4@p...> wrote:
                                  > Arrgh...
                                  >
                                  > Command for Rules file generation has following syntax:
                                  > as should be seen when you run <Atlantis whatever.exe> without
                                  > arguments. All of these options are necessary otherwise generation
                                  will
                                  > fail.
                                  >
                                  > So, you should type in command line something like this:
                                  > standard genrules standard_intro.html html\standard.css rules.html
                                  > ...and file named rules.html should be generated.
                                  >
                                  > Of course, you can name that file otherwise if you wish. If not
                                  fond of
                                  > the standard intro text of css options (for example, I would change
                                  > background to white and text to black in css) feel free to change
                                  those
                                  > too. ;)
                                  >
                                  > I suppose when the game is run the gamemaster file is meant one of
                                  those
                                  > *.in files, but I may be mistaken here. This definitely should not
                                  be
                                  > that text file describing Atlantis setup. How do you run the *.exe
                                  file?
                                  > It is meant to be run from directory containing *.in files
                                  something
                                  > like this:
                                  > ..\standard run
                                  >
                                  > Janis
                                • Brandon
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 14, 2004
                                    b0drin wrote:

                                    >I've managed to generate the rules through trial and error. I've also
                                    >managed to get the engine running by renaming the *.out files to *.in
                                    >Forgive me for asking lots of what is obviously stupid questions to
                                    >people more experienced with this type of thing nut i haven't done
                                    >any in depth command line stuff before so its all very new.
                                    >I'm sure that when you were all learning you needed to ask pertinent
                                    >questions however i want to make this game work and unfortunately
                                    >this forum seems to be the only place to ask these things.
                                    >Thanks once more bodrin!

                                    once agian might I state that windows sucks... back in the dos day if
                                    you didn't know the command line you didn't realy need a computer.
                                    even though I tend to use windows on most of my comps I still don't like
                                    it.. I only use windows out of need. I own a computer store and
                                    all my book keeping software is for windows only. I'll take almost
                                    anything over windows if given the option lol. anything from linux to mac to
                                    beos to cpm to cobol. ok my rant is now over. I realy need to find
                                    time to do something with that faq I started in the database section,
                                    maybe it will help get started faster next time.

                                    goodluck with your game and if all goes well I'll be willing to join if
                                    you like

                                    later
                                  • John Woolsey
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Nov 14, 2004
                                      Hey have you checked out www.truehonour.com :D

                                      - bfn - JAW
                                    • Anthony Briggs
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Nov 21, 2004
                                        b0drin wrote:

                                        > Hello everyone,
                                        > I'm new to atlantis and i'm having trouble compiling the source code.
                                        >
                                        > The compiler i'm now using is Dev-C++ version 4.9.9.0 from
                                        > www.bloodshed.net. Which is based on GCC.
                                        >
                                        > I've tried Visual c++6, borland c++3 and i've briefly tried to get
                                        > Cygwin working, I didn't even know where to begin with that one.
                                        >
                                        > I've followed the instructions supplied in the gamemasters html file
                                        > and tried to compile it. but i keep getting an error message at line
                                        > 25 "Multiple target patterns".
                                        > I don't even know what this means, can anyone help as i'd like to get
                                        > this game up and running, plus what does it mean when it says update
                                        > your include paths?
                                        > Thank you in advance of any help

                                        I know nothing about devcpp, but I do know how to use Google (hint,
                                        hint). A quick google search for "multiple target patterns" devcpp
                                        <http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Multiple+target+patterns%22+devcpp>
                                        reveals the following page
                                        <http://www.kvr-vst.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30165>. Towards the bottom
                                        there's this exchange:

                                        Meh, now I'm getting "5 C:\Dev-Cpp\makedeps.mak *** multiple target
                                        patterns. Stop."

                                        I'm thinking I don't even want to mess with this and will just snag the
                                        Visual Studio CD from work, heh Smile

                                        Just take out the extra makefile from the makefile tab of the project
                                        settings. I'm overfond of makefile hacks...

                                        That works. Thanks!

                                        I suspect the reason is that you c'n'p'd the makefile content from my
                                        earlier message... and the <TAB> characters at the start of the lines
                                        converted to spaces. That really screw make up. If you can be bothered,
                                        try replacing leading spaces on the $(CPP), $(CC) and rm lines with
                                        literal <TAB> (x09) characters.

                                        So that gives you two options to try - an extra makefile, or one that
                                        has spaces instead of tabs. Let us know how it goes.

                                        Anthony

                                        HyPEraCtiVE? HeY, WhO aRE YoU cALliNg HypERaCtIve?!
                                        aBRiGgS@...
                                      • Anthony Briggs
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Nov 21, 2004
                                          b0drin wrote:

                                          > ... i've found the executable binaries ... I've run the exe file in a
                                          > command window and got a list containing
                                          > Atlantis New
                                          > Atlantis Run
                                          > Atlantis Edit
                                          >
                                          > Atlantis Map <Type> <Mapfile>
                                          > Atlantis Mapunits
                                          > Atlantis Genrules <Introfile> <cssfile> <Rule-Outputfile>
                                          > Atlantis Check <Orderfiel> <Checkfile>
                                          >
                                          > Now what do i do to get the game going?

                                          Read the GAMEMASTER file.

                                          Anthony

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Nov 21, 2004
                                            b0drin wrote:

                                            > Yes i've read through the GAMEMASTER file.
                                            > It isn't that helpful about commands nor does it explain the options
                                            > to use with GENRULES.

                                            Most of your questions have been answered already, so I'll try and give
                                            you more broad hints.

                                            In general, the best way to ask for help on a mailing list is to try and
                                            explain what you've already done, and/or what *specifically* you don't
                                            understand. Something like "I've tried <command> from the gamemaster
                                            file, but instead of <blah>, it gives me <foo>. What's going on?"

                                            Section 3.1 of the gamemaster file contains a detailed, step-by-step
                                            example of running a turn, complete with input and output. If you can
                                            follow that, you know roughly how the turns are run. True, it's for
                                            UNIX, but the commands in Windows should be pretty much exactly the same.

                                            Also, the Atlantisdev archives are a good source of info for common
                                            questions. Yahoo's searching mechanism is a little bit wierd - it
                                            searches month by month, and you have to keep hitting 'Next' - but other
                                            than that, it's good.